BSU steps up in activities

Nyah Phengsitthy, Editor-in-Chief

Created this year as a new club at HHS, the Black Student Union (BSU) has made it’s way around the school through many activities.

BSU was created to unite African American students at HHS to learn about black history, feeling encouraged and supportive of their race, and to continue academic achievement together.

The club started out with many activities for their members, and it plans to continue to do more in the future. So far, BSU held the first HHS talent show, they meet on activity days with open discussions, and they have had a joint program with the STEM academy where both groups went to go see Hidden Figures in the movie theaters.

Counselor Korey Lamb is one of the leaders for the club and helps plan out what activities come next for the BSU.  

“Right now, we are actually planning a trip to Bowie State University in Maryland for a black college expo where more students will be able to interact with different representatives with several black colleges and universities across the country. [It’ll] just give some information about the college process,” Lamb said.

With Black History Month being in February, the BSU has also taken a stand to that. Students in the club set up a board in the hallway to show pride in their race.

While the club may look like it’s primarily only for black students because of the name, the club is also offered to everyone other than African Americans.

“Our club is definitely not exclusive to black students. We definitely have a few students who don’t identify themselves as black or African American, and they’re just active or involved. It’s supposed to be a unifying club, but with the emphasis of black history and black culture,” Lamb said.

As of now, Lamb believes the club is going great for the first year.

“I think the students really appreciate us having a Black Student Union, and I think we have found a lot of positive connections and positive advancements to be able to come together as a group,” Lamb said. “ I think it’s given students a voice, and I appreciate being a part of it.”