Boys volleyball tournament raises money for DECA

Nyah Phengsitthy, Editor-in-Chief

In efforts of trying to raise money for the cost of trips and materials for their club, the annual DECA boys volleyball tournament was held in the school gym on Tuesday, Nov. 2. The tournament started with freshmen playing against seniors and sophomores playing against juniors. At the end of the two games, the winning grades played each other and then the winner of all grades playing the teachers.

After each game went to three sets, seniors defeated freshmen and the juniors beat the sophomores, making the second to final game of juniors against seniors. As the last set is played, seniors beat juniors, now going on to play the staff.  By the end of the night, the staff had defeated the seniors.

The volleyball tournament is the only fundraiser DECA has had this year. With this tournament and other upcoming fundraisers, the students and leaders involved in DECA hope the amount of money raised will easily help with costs and expenses for their trips. Sports marketing teacher and head of DECA, Cassandra Cason-Copeland, is in her first year of working with DECA and all of the upcoming fundraisers.

“[Fundraisers] will subsidize traveling expenses for the students for their trips to conferences, so I think that’s the major part of why we are doing tournament, so it can help lower the cost for events we might want to participate in,” Copeland said.

For now, Copeland doesn’t have a dollar amount goal to raise. Instead her only focus is raising money for her students in the club, so the fees could be lower, especially for the students who are planning on going to states and nationals.

The cost to play in the tournament was $2, allowing any guy from any grade to play. Talbot Johnson played for freshman class in the volleyball tournament.

“It was a lot of fun and very enjoyable. It was my first time playing volleyball competitively,” Johnson said.

After a successful first fundraiser through the boys volleyball tournament, the DECA club definitely plans on raising more money from future fundraisers.