SSB begin holiday volunteering with bell-ringing

Micah+Ngudie+and+Constance+Komara+during+their+bell-ringing+shift.+

Josh Byrd

Micah Ngudie and Constance Komara during their bell-ringing shift.

Joshua Byrd, Ad Manager

Streaks Serve the ’Burg (SSB) has began participation in their annual Christmas volunteer opportunities. One of the things they participated in was on Dec. 12. The activity was bell-ringing for the Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign. They had seven volunteers for an eight hour time period. The school nurse, Angela Knupp, who is the sponsor of SSB, thought that SSB really stepped up to the plate.

“We had a couple missteps with people who [had] things come up…that they had no control over,” Knupp said. “I had kids who stepped in, did extra shifts, showed up again, so as usual Streaks Serve the ‘Burg came through.”

On Dec. 18, SSB will volunteer again for the Salvation Army for their Toy Convoy at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds. The Toy Convoy is a program which the Salvation Army heads. They collect toys and food, for families in need, during the holiday season. They do this to make sure every child has a present to open and a meal to eat on Christmas day. SSB will be finding bags of toys as the families come in to claim them. It is an all day event.

“We are all community service oriented.” Knupp said. “We want people in the community to know that Harrisonburg High School students are awesome and do great things.”