Blosser on 17 years of HHS

Over 37 years of teaching, 17 in Harrisonburg alone, Myron Blosser has learned three rules in becoming a successful teacher. Blosser is now on his second year back to HHS after working At EMHS for 12 years.

“When I first came to Harrisonburg High School I was very young, I was 23.  I worked with three teachers that taught me what I know today,” Blosser said.

Tom Burk called me up and said he was going back to dental school and he offered me his position. What was so fascinating was that it was the first year Harrisonburg High School had an academic competition team. They had a math, science, and social studies team, which was their first year competing against other schools, it was called VACE (Valley Academic Competition for Excellence)”  With being his first year in the academic competition department, he was mentored by the chair mens; Gary Riner, Judy Warren, and Henry Buhl. Gary Riner taught Blosser to always offer events for students to engage in.

“Part of what I always try to do is to have something exciting and big and out there, like a trip to the Cheasepeake Bay or to Florida Keys. To always have something out there that the kids are looking forward too,” Blosser said. He has plans for the upcoming STEM summer trip, however all he knows so far is that the location will be in Florida.
“Judy Warren taught me that if you’re going to do something, do it right.” It was a night before a major event, Blosser and his staff had just finished making the programs and Judy Warren had found a spelling error. She made them change it, which involved rewritten and reprinting everything.

“Now for me i try to internalize that, not only in my teaching but with the students as well. If their going to present, I hear Judy Warren say ‘Do it right,’ so  coach them through it all.” Glosser said.

The final rule Mr. Blosser learned was to have a bond with the students he teaches.

“Henry was always using humor in his teaching, the thing he taught me is that relationships with students is critical. in order to teach students, you have to have a good relationships with them. if you spend a month with them, camp, build fires, the next time you see them inside the classroom its different. you get to know them in another level.” Blosser said.

Myron Blosser gives insight to the Governor's STEM program and it's upcoming events.
Myron Blosser gives insight to the Governor’s STEM program and it’s upcoming events.