Boys go into double overtime against TA rivals

Faith Runnells, Print Managing Editor

On Tuesday, Feb. 3, the boys varsity basketball game was an intense one against our rivals, the Knights of Turner Ashby High School, leading into double overtime.

Although the final score of the game ended 76-71 with Turner Ashby taking the win, the HHS boys gave them a run for their money, tying regular time 60-60 in the last minute of the game. With four extra minutes of extra time on the clock, the game went into overtime after a quick timeout and pep-talk from their coach.

With less than 15 seconds to go in overtime, HHS was trailing 68-67 when sophomore Danny Dombrowski was fouled on TA’s side of the court, therefore allowing him to take two foul shots and potentially bringing back the game for the Blue Streaks.

“The game was pretty much on me. I could lose it, tie it, or win it right there,” Dombrowski said.

He lined up at the free throw line and made the first free throw, tying the game 68-68 and guaranteeing at least a second overtime or even a win for HHS. Unfortunately, he then missed the second one, and the game was into double overtime.

“It felt good to tie the game but it didn’t feel too good to miss and lose the game,” Dombrowski said.

Although HHS lost their momentum and the game in second overtime, the team gave a well fought game in sophomore Malachi Simmons’ eyes.

“We played good as a team. We could’ve played better offensively but we played good defensively… [We needed to] share the ball more and more around more [offensively],” Simmons said.

The team plays the Indians of Fort Defiance this Friday, Feb 6 at home.

“[Now we’re going to] practice harder and work on stuff we didn’t do yesterday during the game,” Simmons said.

The team only has four more games of regular season, and then they will be competing in the Conference Tournament.