Seniors take over

Iris Cessna

Senior John Niland took over Mr. Cosner’s class during senior takeover day

Iris Cessna, Feature Editor

For years students watch their teachers and administrators do their jobs and deal with whatever the dilemma of the day is, while the students have their own dilemmas, their own point of view. There hasn’t been much that allows the student to see the school from the teacher’s side. The goal of senior takeover day, in the words of assistant principal Lisa Warren, is just that. Allowing students, namely seniors, to find out what it is like to operate from the teacher perspective for a day.

“We did it because we wanted to allow the students an opportunity to see what it is like as a teacher or an administrator so that they can kind of walk a mile in their shoes and see what a staff member at the high school does on a daily basis, and see it from their point of view instead of just the student’s point of view,” Warren said.

One of the seniors shadowing Warren, Emma Nouri, decided to participate in the event because her brother did it before her.

“My brother did it when he was a senior. He was the principal. And it sounded like it was a really fun thing to do, something to try and something different than just coming to school on a regular day,” Nouri said.

The seniors shadowing Warren followed her through her day, including going to various meetings and doing lunch, morning and afternoon duties.

“They’ll do my morning duty with me, which is running around the building making sure kids are okay, they’ll do my afternoon duty which is bus duty…they’re going to go into a couple of meetings with me, with the electives fair coming up, so they’ll be a part of the planning process…and then they’re also going to do some paperwork that’s required of an assistant principal so they’ll see the non-fun side of being an assistant principal,” Warren said.

Aaron Cosner, an English teacher that was taken over, is not sure what to expect from the experience.

“I really don’t know [how it will go]. I’m trying to create some lesson plans that are pretty simple for my senior that’s taking over, but I don’t know if he will be able to handle one of my more energetic groups,” Cosner said.

Nouri was also not sure what to expect, but was nonetheless excited for the opportunity.

“[I was] excited. I think it [was a] fun and a good experience… she wasn’t that specific about what we’ll be doing, but [we talked] to her today,” Nouri said.

So, some seniors have found out what teachers and administrators do, even if, before the day, neither the teacher nor senior knows quite what to expect.