Celebration of second annual WiSTEM event

Christa Cole

Women from various STEM fields introduce themselves as mentors to the young women, prepare to answer questions and speak about their experiences in their careers.

Christa Cole, Photography Editor

Friday usually seems to be the day where students can be found skipping out of the school doors, excited and anticipating the arrival of the weekend, but this past Friday a number of girls stayed behind. High school and middle school students stayed after school into the late evening to discuss and learn more about STEM, standing for science, technology, engineering and math. The second annual WiSTEM (women in STEM) event celebrated the young women and their involvement in STEM through activities, conversation and words from women in the community who are currently working in the STEM fields, ranging in careers from wildlife biology to pharmaceutics to oncology. Eighth grader Cecelia Thomas, a student in the STEM program at THMS, was one of the middle schoolers who attended the WiSTEM event.

“Something that stood out to me was when the women were talking about how there were few women in their college STEM courses and they had to work so hard just because of their gender,” Thomas said. “I thought it was very shocking since I have never had a personal experience where I was one of the few girls in a science or math class ever.”

Thomas learned much from the event about the necessity for women in the STEM fields.

“I learned that there is a definite place and need for women in STEM careers and women in STEM fields in our community are fighting to establish that place,” Thomas said. “I would want people to know that there is a place for girls in STEM even though they are not always treated equally.”

STEM president Genevieve Cowardin believes the same, and is hopeful for the future.

“We have just as much right to pursue and be successful in STEM as any man. Women working today and three decades ago in STEM have sometimes had to work twice as hard as men to achieve the same amount, but it is all changing,” Cowardin said. “We are a point in our society where we have the chance to move forward and embrace equality for all. There is so much hope in the movement in STEM these days, and we need to celebrate and encourage it.”

Cowardin is a strong believer in the role of women in STEM, and greatly enjoyed the night that she put together, especially while observing the main activity of the event.

“My favorite activity of the night was walking around while students and mentors collaborated to make structures that represented connection. I loved seeing all the unique approaches individual groups took and the conversation that came from that,” Cowardin said. “Another part that I really loved was hearing the questions that the students were asking the mentors. They were so insightful and the responses were enthusiastic and genuine.”

The event was a success, but there was much work that had to go on to prepare for it first.

“It took so much more planning and organization this year than I was expecting. Last year Mr. Jackson had handled a lot of the contacts that had to be made, but this year the tasks rested on our committee of seven HHS STEM students and three women in HCPS. I was responsible for making the contacts with all the mentors and the middle schools in addition to organizing the food. The committee together organized for the activities and worked to spread the word about the opportunity.”

The event ended with discussion between the students and mentors over a meal from Mr. J’s. As the young women left that night, Cowardin hoped that she had encouraged them to shine to their full potential, hoping they had all gotten one particular message.

“Don’t let thinking that “STEM is for boys” keep you from achieving and embracing your dreams,” Cowardin said. “STEM is for you, me and anyone who is willing to work for it.”