Opinion: 11 things I learned in high school that I think you should know

Goodbye%2C+halls+of+HHS.+

Ellie Plass

Goodbye, halls of HHS.

Ellie Plass, Online Editor-in-Chief

Today, Thursday, June 2, is my last day of high school. Ever. It doesn’t feel like that at all. In fact, I feel almost exactly the same way about school ending as I did my freshman year. However, that doesn’t mean that I’m the same person I was my freshman year. I wouldn’t be giving myself nearly enough credit if I said that. I have changed an incredible amount, and I wish that I had known the things I know now earlier. Luckily for you, I’m feeling a bit sentimental and a lot generous. Here’s all the stuff I wish I had known before this moment, compiled into one handy list for you.

1. Get salad in the cafeteria. Okay, first of all, this is definitely the best value. You get a salad, a sandwich, soup, yoghurt, fruit and a drink. Sure, you might have to pay a little extra if you get yoghurt and a sandwich or some other combination (I never quite figured out what cost extra) but compared to the other options, it’s not only the tastiest but the most economical.
  2. If you’re walking in the hallways without a pass, walk with a purpose. Check your phone and walk quickly. Don’t just meander around. I promise you’ll be much less likely to be stopped.
  3. Join every club ever. Try everything. Step outside your comfort zone. Not only will you be more likely to get into college, but you’ll meet people you never even knew existed.
  4. Schedule time to hang out with your friends. I know that sounds really type-a, but I promise that in the heat of AP season you’ll be glad you forced yourself to take some time away and talk to the people who love you the most.
  5. Don’t let boys (or girls) tell you who you are. Know yourself first. I promise that your relationships will suffer if you’re looking to another person to tell you how to feel or how to act.
  6. Take the SAT your junior year. This will save you so much stress and if you aren’t where you need to be, you have a whole summer to study. The same goes for the ACT.
  7. Start the Common App before school even starts your senior year. You’ll thank yourself when all your friends are panicking over applications and homework btu you’re already sitting pretty. Make sure you know which schools you want to apply early to, and apply early to all the schools without binding admissions. Your chances of getting in will be considerably higher.  
  8. Avoid the main staircase. A) it’s always the most crowded and b) you don’t get the beautiful view you get from the other windowed staircases. You’ll save time and get a view of the sunshine.
  9. Go to the homecoming football game. It’s part of the high school experience.
  10. Same goes for prom. Go to every prom you can get your hands on. You’ll remember them the most.
  11. Be on the right side of history. If your friends are having drama and you happen to be involved, stay true to how you feel about things. Don’t butt into drama that isn’t relevant to you, but if you do have to be involved, choose correctly.

I promise, you’ll be fine. Maybe you have to figure out these things for yourself, but I hope that they’re at least a little helpful. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself these last few years. This goodbye is bittersweet.