Indoor track team competes in Valley District Championship

Sophomore Tucker McGrath competes in the 3200m, closely followed by senior Jacob Blagg.

David Beck

David Beck

The indoor track team traveled to to Heritage High School in Lynchburg, VA, Feb. 3 to compete in the VHSL Conference 21 West indoor track meet, also known as the Valley District Championships. Unlike the more common 200m indoor track that is competed on, the Heritage High School indoor track is 133.33m. The meet included teams from Broadway, Fort Defiance, Harrisonburg, Rockbridge, Spotswood, Turner Ashby, Waynesboro and Harrisonburg. The HHS girls team won overall with a score of 104, trailed by Turner Ashby and Broadway. The HHS boys team placed 6th overall. On Tuesday, Feb. 13th, the indoor track team will travel to Fork Union Military Academy to compete in regionals. Below are some of the top HHS performances of the meet.  

Girls

• Senior Sydney Harper placed 2nd overall in the 55m dash with a season best time of 7.80 seconds.

• Freshman Elena Luhn placed 2nd overall in the 300m dash with a time of 46.51 seconds.

• Freshman Yodit Amine and sophomore Ana Rodriguez both competed in the 3200m. Amine placed 3rd with a time of 12:47.02, two seconds off of her personal record, and Rodriguez placed 5th with a season best time of 13:14.10.

• Juniors Hannah Miller and Abby Campillo both competed in the 1000m. Miller placed 2nd with a time of 3:22.43 and Campillo placed 3rd with a time of 3:34.28.

Boys

• Sophomore Kie Lockhart ran a season best time of 7.01 seconds in the 55m.

• Senior Ashton Landes competed in the 500m, finishing with a time of 1:14.28.

• Sophomore Tucker McGrath and senior Jacob Blagg finished with times of 11:26.63 and 11:28.26 in the 3200m.

• Both senior Israel Kakule and sophomore Jaylin Smith finished with season best times in the 55m hurdles. Kakule finished in 9.39 seconds and Smith finished in 9.68 seconds.

• Senior Sam Healy and junior Owen Stewart both jumped 17 feet-3.5 inches in the long jump. Those were both season bests for Healy and Stewart.