Homecoming court nominees

Each fall, the tradition of homecoming brings back old memories for alumni that come to visit their old school. For current students, homecoming is a week of different activities that can get every student involved. The crowning of the king and queen at the homecoming football game is an event of homecoming week. The seniors nominate four girls and four boys for the court, while underclassmen nominate two girls and two boys from the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes.

Sophomore Sarah Hartman was on the court last year, and she said that she was excited for homecoming this year, partly because sophomore Alyce Kilby-Woodward, a close friend, is also on the court.

“I was excited [when I heard that I would be on the homecoming court], especially since I [was] on there with my best friend. I think homecoming [was] really fun and the theme [was] really unique. It’s fun to be on the court.” Hartman said.

This year’s spirit week was comprised of pajama day, luau day, international day, decades day and red/blue out for the pep rally. Hartman said she thinks spirit week is great and that she enjoys participating in wearing themed clothes for each day. Senior Collin Morris, who was nominated for homecoming king, enjoys pajama day the most.

“I do like spirit week; I participated in pajama day, and it’s probably one of my favorite days,”

Morris plays football, so at the football game he played, but he was not able to walk out onto the field with all of the other nominees before the king and queen were crowned. Morris said that he was excited for both the game and the dance, because he wants to see seniors AC White and Kellyn Rivera win.

“[I don’t really want to win],” Morris said, “I [wanted] AC White and Kellyn Rivera to win because they’re a couple.”

The homecoming football game took place Oct. 6. AC White and Lucie Rutherford won king and queen, respectively. The Streaks defeated the Rockbridge County Wildcats 62-28. The dance was the following night, starting at 8:00 p.m. and going to 11:00 p.m.