Miller advances on to state meet after breaking school record

Yusuf Aboutabl, Feature Editor

After competing in the Conference 21 West track meet last week, several Streaks traveled to Lynchburg to compete in the regional track meet. Sophomore Hannah Miller competed in the 1600m run after having qualified for the state track meet earlier in the season. During her qualifying run, she also broke the school record that had been standing for 22 years.

“I’ve been working on the mile for a while now. I started back in the winter because of indoor track. I’ve been close to dropping my time several times but I never quite made it,” Miller said. “This spring, I focused mainly on soccer but I came to one track meet. It was raining and I was sick but I ran with the competition and it ended up working out.”

Yusuf Aboutabl
Isaiah King receives a handoff during the 4x800m relay from Ashton Landes

Miller’s performance at that meet qualified her for the state track meet, but she still ran at the regional meet.

“It went really well at regionals but the weather was kind of crazy. It rained on and off for a while but I was really proud of team even though not everyone made it to states,” Miller said. “Everyone competed really well.”

Miller also ran the 3200m, placing 6th and beating her personal record with a time of 11:57.

Other competitors included junior Mo Berhe in the 3200, freshman Jacob Seefried in the 400m dash, and the boys 4×800 relay and senior Harley Gardinet in discus. Senior thrower Ethan Harris qualified for the state meet throwing shot and discus.

The boys 4×800 relay failed to qualify for states.

“We were seeded 10th and got 6th,” Junior Isaiah king said, a member of the 4×800. “But we were running for time. We got an 8:25. Qualifying time was 8:24.”