DECA is beneficial

Danny Dombrowski, Staff Reporter

This past weekend I got to attend my third state leadership conference for DECA in Virginia Beach. For those that don’t know, DECA is a business and entrepreneur club that allows members to compete in different events. In my opinion, it is the best and most beneficial club offered at HHS. There are over 50 individual and team based competitive events that deal with business management, marketing, finance, entrepreneurship and hospitality and tourism. Most events require you to take a test and complete 1-2 role plays that are done in front of a judge, but some require presentations and typed papers instead. The top finishers in each event qualify for the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) which is held in a different city each year.

Attending the state conference is one of the best decisions I made as a sophomore and it has continued to be a highlight each school year in March. States is a good time, but if you can make it to nationals, it is a whole new ball game. My experience at ICDC last year in Nashville was the best thing I have done in high school. Touring Nashville, attending an NHL playoff hockey game and going on a riverboat cruise were my favorite parts of the trip. Over 20,000 people attend ICDC from all over the world and if you have the opportunity to get there, I wouldn’t pass it up. If you have any interest in business, I would recommend giving DECA a shot next year. Not only is the experience worth it, you learn life skills that you will need in the workplace. My public speech has improved tenfold since starting DECA as a freshman.

For those that are all about your college resumé, DECA looks amazing on it, especially if you can place at states. Lots of scholarships are available to members and placing at ICDC can win you thousands of dollars depending on the event. The networking that can be done at DECA conferences is endless; business professionals and universities from all over attend the conferences. I wouldn’t trade my experiences in DECA for anything and I would recommend other students get involved with the club.