All state band auditions

Noah Siderhurst, Editor-in-Chief

Last Saturday, Feb. 25, students who placed in top positions in the South Central Senior Regional Orchestra event last November or the all-district band event in February attended the all-state band auditions at JMU. A total of 11 students auditioned, but only two, junior Katya Kirilyuk and senior Joshua Jordan, made it into the all-state band. Band director Daniel Upton thinks that this is an accomplishment to be proud of.
“Having any students make the top ensembles is very prestigious and the highest success. Having multiple students make it is a great success for our school, especially two students who are now in their second year making it. I’m very impressed,” Upton said.
Next, Jordan and Kirilyuk will perform at the all-state event at Colgan High School in April.
“This is a brand new high school with a world class facility. Katya will perform in the orchestra and Joshua will perform in the symphonic band. Last year the orchestra premiered a brand new piece of music and Katya was a part of that, and this year Joshua will perform a world premier with the symphonic band,” Upton said.
Upton believes that the experience of being in the all-state band is very worth it.
“They get to be a part of one of the top musical experiences available. This will further their preparation for college, and build their résumé,” Upton said.
Despite this, the timing of the auditions is not quite ideal. It occurs right after the musical, an event that many band members participate in by being a part of the pit orchestra, so preparation is sometimes rushed.
“Students could always prepare more to be more successful, but timing is tough,” Upton said.