Everyone should listen to classical music

Anna Rath, Feature Editor

As I was growing up, classical music has been apart of my life, from watching “Baby Einstein” when I was an infant, to dancing to it in my ballet classes for twelve years, and now I use it as a focusing tool for when I study. Normal teenagers probably don’t listen to classical music to help them study and if they do, their interest in it probably doesn’t stem much further than that, but because I was immersed in it so young it’s become a second nature for me to listen to it and it has in fact become my favorite genre of music. I used to have a hard time admitting this because what teenager prefers to listen to Cello Suite No. 1 in G major than Beyonce? You don’t come across it very often, but I stand by my choices and I believe listening to classical music has helped me get through school and studying in a lot of ways. Listening to classical music is not only enjoyable, but also very beneficial and I think that everyone should give it a try. Who knows? Maybe it could really help some people focus and in turn improve their grades.

According to a study by takelessons.com, classical music has been shown that it can increase your productivity and reduce stress levels. This is very important and can help many people in the long run just like it has helped me. I used to sit down to do my homework but I’d end up getting distracted and not get my work done. That would leave me extremely stressed, but I found that once I started to listen to classical music while I worked it wasn’t as hard for me to focus, I was getting so much more work done and my test scores were improving.

Another benefit of classical music is that listening to it, especially to Mozart, has been shown by studies to help students retain and absorb more information and in turn do better on test and quizzes. According to research by USC News, “University research in France, published in Learning and Individual Differences, found that students who listened to a one-hour lecture where classical music was played in the background scored significantly higher in a quiz on the lecture when compared to a similar group of students who heard the lecture with no music.” Maybe here at school teachers should start softly playing classical music on their computers while they are teaching as well as while students are taking tests, I bet students would slowly begin to become more focused and start to improve. I know classical music is not most people’s favorite but more students should try listening to it quietly while doing homework, they would probably start to see some results.

Students should constantly be trying to improve upon themselves and their study habits so they can become the best they can be. So what if these studies don’t have the same effect on you? Maybe it won’t change a thing about your study habits, but don’t knock it til you try it, maybe it really will help.