Swim and Dive take on states

From+right+to+left-+Junior+Urie+Conis%2C+freshman+Andi+fox%2C+junior+Christian+Rodriguez%2C+senior+Andrew+Rath%2C+junior+Kyle+Brown+and+sophomore+Jack+Flemming+pose+after+their+state+performance+

Christian Rodriguez

From right to left- Junior Urie Conis, freshman Andi fox, junior Christian Rodriguez, senior Andrew Rath, junior Kyle Brown and sophomore Jack Flemming pose after their state performance

Andi Fox, Feature Editor

On Thursday, Feb. 16 HHS’s sole diver, sophomore Jack Fleming, competed in the 4A State Dive Competition in Richmond, Virginia. Fleming placed 1st in 4A state, placed 3rd overall and scored 20 points for the team.

The next day, Friday, Feb. 17, five swimmers competed in the 4A State Swimming competition, also in Richmond, VA. The swim team had four boys swimming a relay, and one girl swimming an individual event. In the morning, there was a preliminary round, and the top 16 swimmers in each event moved on to finals later that evening.

Sophomore Kyle Brown, senior Andrew Rath, junior Christian Rodriguez and junior Urie Conis swam in the 200 yard freestyle relay. Before the meet, the boys were seated 24th with a time of 1:38.10. In the preliminary round, they were able to drop three seconds, placing them 19th. Each swimmer either got, or was close to a personal best time.

Sophomore Andi Fox swam the 100 yard breastroke. In the preliminary round, she swam a personal best time of 1:10.98, placing her 15th. In the Finals, Fox placed 14th and scored 3 points for the team.

Overall, the Swim and Dive Varsity team ended up with 23 points.

Swim and Dive coach, Richard Morrell, was happy with the team’s performance.

“[The team] did excellent because everybody dropped time. Andi Fox set a new school record in the preliminaries and qualified for finals. The boys set a goal of dropping three seconds from their relay state qualifying time, and they did, so that was a big deal. They just got caught in the trap of other teams swimming well too, but they moved up from 24th to 19th in terms of seed and placement, so that was a big deal,” Morrell said. “Andi Fox [and Jack Fleming] both scored points for the team, so both the men’s and women’s teams are on the scoreboard at a state meet, which we haven’t done that since Sydney Little was swimming for us three or four years ago. It was a great day with good swimming.”