Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Abebe produces and publishes music
US Army visits with virtual reality stimulation

March 21, 2024

Varsity Girls Soccer plays Fluvanna in opening game of the season

March 21, 2024

Black student-athletes share experiences, expectations in sports

March 19, 2024

High school should be optional

The schooling systems all over the world help people get jobs, an education and open up doors not previously even there in people’s lives. But do we rely on schools too much? Are they are fair and necessary? No.

Schooling systems all over the world are too important. Basically without going through high school people can’t get jobs above minimum wage which is outrageous. Regardless of someone’s intellect they should be able to work and earn their job based on ethic and skill, Not a piece of paper they got from being forced to go to school for 12+ years.

Now, you could argue that it takes just as much ethic and skill to go to work or maybe it develops social skills and that’s true, in some cases. However, it also opens up opportunity for bullying and depression and failure and outcast if someone does not complete high school.

This is why I believe we should get rid of the law that makes high school mandatory for children and teens. This also means we have to get rid of the requirement in most jobs of needing a high school diploma for qualifying. It should only help someone’s chances of getting a job and even then only slightly. An example of this would be if two people were applying for the same job and they both had the same skillset and availability and work ethic, whichever one has the diploma it would give them the extra push they need, in some cases, to succeed. Other than that, whichever candidate is more competent should receive the job regardless of education.

School that is high school and above should be optional and required for only certain jobs such as doctors and teachers who need to know the most valuable information to do their work to save lives. Factory work and accountants and stockbrokers and Wall Street jobs don’t all need a high school education but excluding factory work all require above it. That is outrageous. Granted, the extra education could be extremely beneficial such as high school and college math for stockbroking and accounting.

A majority of jobs that require high school diplomas and college degrees are not the most difficult jobs in the world that most people could do either adequately or better on their first day. This is why I believe the mandatory schooling should only be to 8th grade and High school and college should be optional.

View Comments (1)