TA steals win from girls varsity basketball

John Breeden

Freshman Jakaya Brandon takes a free throw against Turner Ashby.

John Breeden, Staff Reporter

On Tuesday, Jan. 31, the girls varsity basketball team hosted the Turner Ashby Knights, who are known as the school’s biggest rival. TA put on a clinic, not losing the lead the entire game, with the game’s final score being 71-57. In the first quarter, TA jumped out quickly to a 4-0 lead. As soon as Harrisonburg responded with two points, the Knights fired back with two more scores, including a three-pointer, making it 9-2. The Knights continued to increase the lead, scoring two more three-pointers, finishing the first with a 23-10 lead. Junior Constance Komara lead the team with six points, and two rebounds. The second quarter started out with Komara draining Harrisonburg’s first 3 pointer of the game. Freshman Jakaya Brandon would also add another three, however, the Knights were still able to maintain a decent lead, outscoring the Streaks 14-9. With 1:31 to go in the second, Junior Madeline Cooper was visibly shaken up after contact when going for the ball. When the referee called for the time-out, she was able to get up and walk away, but did not return to the game. The Knights had a 37-19 lead over the Streaks heading into the second half.

The third quarter started with Komara once again hitting another three-pointer, and senior Kendall Thompson making one of two foul shots. Komara would miss a three-point shot, but came back and put up two points, with the score at 25-37. TA put up some more points, but Harrisonburg came answering back with Komara and Thompson scoring. The lead would shrink to nine points, but TA  put up another bucket before the end of the quarter. The Knights were up 47-36 at the end of the third. TA would start the fourth with another score, and continue to pour it on against Harrisonburg, outscoring them 24-21 in the fourth quarter to win 71-57, leading from wire to wire en route to victory.
Despite the loss, both Komara and Thompson played well for the team, racking up 15 points each. The girls team slip to 7-10 on the season and have upcoming games against Fort Defiance, on Wednesday, Feb. 1, and again on Friday, Feb. 3.