Girls varsity basketball falls to Woodgrove

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor

On Friday, Jan. 27, the girls varsity basketball team had a home game against the Woodgrove Wolverines, a Conference 21 opponent. Woodgrove took the game by the final score of 71-53. The game started out slowly on the offensive end, with Woodgrove leading just 12-7 after the first quarter. Starting late in the first frame, the Wolverines took off on an 18-3 run that extended their lead to 27-10 a couple minutes prior to halftime. Harrisonburg was able to cut into the lead a bit prior to the half, going into the break trailing 31-17. Freshman Jakaya Brandon paced the Streaks in the half with nine points.

The Streaks were able to continue chopping into the lead, getting within single digits at one point during the third quarter, and trailing by ten, 48-38, heading into the fourth. In the final quarter, Harrisonburg’s offense was able to put up 15 points, but the defense struggled, allowing 23 Woodgrove points, leading to the 71-53 defeat.

Brandon finished with 16 points, a team high for the Blue Streaks, with senior Kendall Thompson also finishing in the double digits. The Streaks’ upcoming games are against Turner Ashby and Fort Defiance, both Valley District opponents, with just four games remaining until the postseason begins.