Preparing for a blast of cold at Polar Bear meets

Yusuf Aboutabl, Feature Editor

The HHS indoor track team will travel to Fort Defiance on Wednesday Jan. 11 to compete at one of the infamous Polar Bear meets. Many of the runners are entered to compete, since the Liberty University meet on Friday January 13 is limited entry. Sophomore Fernando Posada will travel with the team to participate in the 4×400 meter relay, which is the last event of the day. By then, the weather is forecasted to be in the mid forties with rain showers.

“The weather really slows you down at Polar Bear meets,” Posada said. “For example, last year at one of the meets, it slowed me down by 40 seconds in the mile. To negate the effects of the weather, we try to warm up as much as possible. Coach [Hertzler] always tells us to have as many layers on as possible right up until we start running.”

Fort Defiance’s track is asphalt, which is a stark contrast from other rubber tracks the team is used to, providing another obstacle for runners.

“We can’t wear spikes on the asphalt track, and that slows you down a little bit,” Posada said. “But the asphalt is also really hard on your legs, especially at the joints.”

Posada and his relay team plan on overcoming these obstacles to run their desired time.

“In total, we’re trying to run under 4 minutes, so to do that, I have to run at or below 60 seconds for my leg. We all do,” Posada said.

Junior Jacob Blagg will be running the mile at the meet. The added experience at Polar Bear meets gives Blagg a new approach to dealing with the weather.

“Normally you’ll run slower at Fort Defiance just because it’s cold and windy, and their track isn’t the best track in the world,” Blagg said. “But at the same time it’s mental. You just have to think that you’re gonna do well and try not think about the weather. It will only affect your running if you let it.”

Preparation for Polar Bear meets are no different for any other meet, with the team going easy the day before. Blagg’s goal is to run under 5 minutes and 20 seconds in the mile.