Inside the life of indoor track

Ty McDaniel, Staff Reporter

The Harrisonburg High School indoor track team has practice every weekday from 3:00-5:00 p.m. A normal practice consists of a warm-up, which involves stretching and jogging, then some of them do work-out accelerations or practice their starts and practice hand-offs for relays.

The jumpers work on their triple jump and long jump. Sometimes the team does ladders and core workouts. Usually every other day they go to the weight room. The distance runners have it a bit different though. They start off with a warm up run and stretching as the rest of the team, but then they either do a 40 minute run or various track workouts. Afterwards, they always end up in the weight room.

The teammates work together throughout practice. Practice is usually split up by groups like the jumpers, pole vaulters, distance runners and sprinters. Team members think that there is a plan for every practice and that people know what they’re doing. Walter Hussein says he likes the team,

“I like it so far, I like the workouts, I like the people. Lots of motivation. I have a chance to break my [personal record].”

The indoor track team is one of the biggest winter sports in terms of participants at Harrisonburg High School and full of hardworking teammates who help the school, team and each other.