High school teacher becomes driving instructor

Photo Courtesy of TJ Butler

Junior Marissa Madden poses with her provisional license

Danny Dombrowski, Staff Reporter

Physical education teacher TJ Butler has been the owner of his side business Butlers Driving School for almost 14 years. The business started in 2003 after his first year of teaching at the high school.

“I just thought there was a need for kids to take behind the wheel. There was a waiting list for the school, so I just thought it was an opportunity to make some extra money as a teacher,” Butler said.

What started as a one man job has turned into a six driver business spanning all of Rockingham and Harrisonburg.

“Word of mouth and good service has really helped me expand. My first year I drove 40 kids, second year 80, and the third year over 100, so I started hiring new drivers since I couldn’t handle it all myself. I tried to get a driver at each of the schools. I now have 5 other drivers besides myself,” Butler said.

Compared to local driving businesses, Butlers is a cheaper option. He not only allows students to be able to take it with their friends, but will pick up and drop off at their homes each day. Butler enjoys being able to meet new kids each week.

“My favorite part is starting a session with 3 strangers and over the course of the week you are just sharing stories, joking, and gossiping. 98% of the kids are good drivers, which makes my job easy,” Butler said.

However, not every aspect of the business is as enjoyable as driving part.

“My least favorite part would have to be all the paperwork for the DMV from license forms to driving logs,” Butler said.

Looking towards the future, Butler would like to expand the business.

“A dream would be to have a building where I could do a classroom portion and clinics. The future will probably just be me doing what I do now. It would be nice to expand, but I don’t see it happening,” Butler said.

From a business mindset, Butler thinks organization is key.

“Being organized in my opinion is the most important part of running a business. A lot of kids send me a random text when they can start, and I need to be able to get them a start date in a timely manner, so just being able to keep everything organized is helpful,” Butler said.

Due to the high demand for the service, he keeps an organized schedule months in advance.

“I keep a schedule of when I can drive up to 5 months in advance. I recommend taking it around the 8.5 month mark; there is no need to take it earlier.” Butler said.

One of the reasons kids choose Butler over his competitors is his relaxed driving atmosphere.

“I think just being fun and flexible with the kids is a good way to make the experience enjoyable for everyone, for example we listen to the music the kids like,” Butler said.

If you are in need of behind the wheel, all you need to do is send Butler a text at (540) 476-0749. The cost of seven sessions is $200.