Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Owen Marshall

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief

Owen Marshall is a senior at HHS and is going into his fourth and final year on staff. He is one of the Editors-in-Chief on this year’s staff. Owen is also on the golf and baseball teams and hopes to continue his baseball career at the college level. In his free time, Owen enjoys spending time with friends and joking about Mrs. Kibler’s love for NASCAR. Although he is excited about leaving high school, he will miss Newsstreak and the many memories that have come with the years.

All content by Owen Marshall
Senior Andrea Osinkosky serves the ball.

[Photo] Girls tennis concludes season with regional finals for singles and doubles

Sam Heie, Editor-in-Chief May 31, 2019

Senior Andrea Osinkosky serves the ball in the Regional Quarterfinal to the Massaponax.

Girls tennis falls to Massaponax in Regional Quarterfinal

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief May 24, 2019

After knocking off fourth seed Orange County High School in the first round of the Regional playoffs and first seed Halifax High School in the Regional quarterfinals, the Streaks girls tennis team took...

Collaborative 2019 NFL Mock Draft

Collaborative 2019 NFL Mock Draft

On Thursday, Apr. 25, the next wave of NFL talent will be realized. Each year in the NFL Draft, over 200 college players are selected by one of the 32 NFL franchises, and rise to the professional ranks....

Many college recruiters dont actually go to high school games anymore. Instead, they rely on costly camps for recruiting.

College athletic recruiting values money too much

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief March 5, 2019

Imagine dreaming of playing college sports since you were four years old. You are an above average high school athlete, and emails start to flow into your inbox. Various colleges are “showing interest”,...

Senior James Henderson (center) leads the seniors in a cheer after their recognition at senior night.

Henderson reflects after final year in the pool

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief February 28, 2019

Sitting in the pool waiting for the remainder of the swimmers to finish their race, senior James Henderson realized his career as a swimmer was over; forever. “My second to last race was where it...

Senior Nyah Phengsitthy leads the first middle school journalism workshop. Those who attend the workshop from Thomas Harrison and Skyline Middle School have the opportunity to learn about the different strands of journalism at the high school level.

[Photo] Phengsitthy engages students through hands-on-learning

Maren McGehee, Staff Reporter February 11, 2019

Senior Nyah Phengsitthy leads the first middle school journalism workshop. Those who attend the workshop from Thomas Harrison and Skyline Middle School have the opportunity to learn about the different...

Senior Josh Lichti lunges for a steal.

Streaks defeat Wildcats on senior night

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief February 6, 2019

The Streaks had extra motivation going into their last regular season home game, which led to their 59-52 win. They celebrated four players on their senior night as well as a manager, Ayam...

Senior Pana Muhamad (middle) watches the Streaks trail to John Handley. The Streaks lost 51-44.

Muhamad brings energy to bench as assistant

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief January 26, 2019

From football to soccer, there is always a familiar face standing at the front of the bleachers shouting during every play. If you go to a varsity boys basketball game, you won’t find this person in...

Rocha to continue baseball journey at PHCC

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief December 20, 2018

From his days of Little League, senior Jose Rocha knew he was talented, playing with kids above his age group every season. While some kids also move up a bit early, Rocha was the only nine-year-old to...

Jose Rocha throws a fastball down to a batter in the Regional semi-finals during his sophomore year. The game went to the tenth inning and ended with the Streaks having a walk win. The final score of 14-13 sent the Streaks to the state tournament.

Rocha, coaches reflect on college baseball commitment

Owen Stewart and Owen Marshall December 20, 2018

Senior Jose Rocha committed to play college baseball at Patrick Henry Community College (PHCC) on Nov. 14.

Week 13 Power Rankings: Saints suffer shocking loss as Seahawks, Cowboys arrive in top 10

The Houston Texans now have the league's longest winning streak. A 13-10 loss to Dallas ended New Orleans' previous ten game streak, and Houston's nine game run is now on top. Aside from Houston, some...

Week 12 Power Rankings: Top three continue to win and playoff race shapens

The postseason is approaching fast. No byes remain, and in a year of many ups and downs, there isn't a single team that is mathematically eliminated from postseason contention. Five weeks remain, and there...

Blue Streaks Sports Talk Episode 1

Owen Stewart, Owen Marshall, Simon Beach, and Maya Waid November 30, 2018

The sports crew discusses winter athletics at HHS and national sports news.            

Week 10 Power Rankings: Top teams keep winning as reigning champs continue to slide

Ten weeks into the regular season, the playoff picture is beginning to take shape. The Patriots, Rams and Steelers are unsurprising leaders of their respective divisions, but other shocking contenders...

Kevin Navedo hits a two run double in the conference battle against the Eastern Mennonite Royals. During his freshman season Navedo hit .229 with three home runs.

Navedo transitions to college baseball, making dream a reality

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief November 15, 2018

Many dream of hitting a home run to save the game. With two strikes and two outs on Kevin Navedo in the bottom of the seventh inning, the Streaks’ hopes of moving on in the playoffs were looking slim,...

Senior Victor Lynch evades Waynesboro High School defenders after catching a punt.

4 things to watch 4: Regional playoffs at Brooke Point

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief November 9, 2018

From now on every game the football team plays can be their last. After finishing 6-4 in the regular season, the Streaks found themselves as the six seed in the Region 5D tournament. Brooke Point had a...

Week 9 Power Rankings: Saints knock Rams off throne

At the halfway point of the season, the NFL has given us it's share of surprises, the latest being the league's lone undefeated team, the Rams, falling last week to New Orleans, who takes over as the unanimous...

Week 7 Power Rankings: Real contenders separating from hot starters

Nearing the halfway point of the season, the pretenders and contenders are beginning to separate themselves. Only the Rams (7-0) remain undefeated, and the Saints and Chiefs are the only other one loss...

Senior Aaliyah Jordan swerves to evade junior Grace Gabriele.

Seniors shutout juniors in annual powderpuff game

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief October 25, 2018

Traditionally there is a rivalry between the classes. Amongst the upperclassmen, there is an annual event held the week of Homecoming, where the juniors and seniors have a chance to prove their dominance....

.Senior Brandon Stees defends a Broadway player

Unified basketball faces off against Broadway

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief October 22, 2018

The pep band blasts music, the stands erupt and the four Unified basketball teams cheer as the Streaks take the court against the Gobblers of Broadway. Unified basketball is a program that started...

Week 6 Power Rankings: Rams separate from pack as only undefeated team

And then there was one.  With Kansas City's loss to New England this week, the Rams (6-0), are now the only undefeated team in the league. Los Angeles has shown utter domination of the league thus...

Week 5 Power Rankings: Rams hold steady at top as other teams plunge

The NFL has been packed with plenty of inconsistencies this season, but within all of the wildness, the Los Angeles Rams and Kansas City Chiefs have separated themselves from the pack. The only 5-0 teams...

Week 4 Power Rankings: Last seasons contenders continue to struggle as Bears, Titans pick up huge wins

Week 4 Power Rankings: Last season’s contenders continue to struggle as Bears, Titans pick up huge wins

With the first quarter of the NFL season out of the way, it’s safe to say that this year is shaping up to be an interesting one. Only two undefeated teams remain, and just one team is currently winless....

Week 3 Power Rankings: Rankings shaken up as upsets run rampant

Weeks 1 and 2 brought some excitement in the form of upsets and games going down to the wire, but neither came close to the shock of Week 3’s slate. Buffalo’s win over Minnesota was the largest NFL...

Week 2 Power Rankings: Trio of teams shake up rankings with 2-0 starts as Steelers slide

If you liked the twists and turns of the NFL's first week, the second week didn't disappoint either. All three Florida teams are currently 2-0 while both Pennsylvania teams have underwhelmed thus far....

Andre Beeton jumps to block the shot of Aneudi Perez-Ponce.

[Photo] Unified Basketball team begins training with big goals

Nyah Phengsitthy, Editor-in-Chief September 18, 2018

Teacher Walt Williamson coaches the team as Donnie Winton takes a shot.

Week 1 Power Rankings: Ravens, Jets soar; Bills, Titans sink quickly

The first week of the NFL season is complete. Some results were expected, whereas some were not. Our five panelists have learned a little bit about each team, and have updated their rankings. TRENDING...

NFL Power Rankings: Preseason Edition

NFL Power Rankings: Preseason Edition

With the 2018 NFL season just a week away, it’s becoming time to figure out where each team stands coming into the season. Here, five Newsstreak writers share their preseason power rankings, from best...

Boys Varsity Soccer Regional Quarterfinals

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief June 1, 2018

The boys varsity soccer team took on the Patrick Henry Patriots in the Regional Quarterfinals. The Streaks were knocked out of the tournament falling to the Patriots 3-2.

Vinay Kumar teaches Kasey Hovermales chemistry class a lesson about Indian culture.

Transfer teachers bring knowledge from abroad

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief March 20, 2018

Teachers from thousands of miles away have travelled to Harrisonburg to observe students at HHS as well as take classes at James Madison University. The teachers arrived in Washington D.C. on Jan. 4 to...

sophomore D’shawn Fields shoots the basketball.

Boys varsity basketball moves on to regional semifinals

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief February 26, 2018

Heading into the regional quarterfinals as the two seed against Patrick Henry, the Streaks were hoping to start their first playoff run to states since 1989. The Streaks jumped out to an early lead and...

2018 XXL Freestyle: Whos in? Whos not?

2018 XXL Freestyle: Who’s in? Who’s not?

Each year, ten up and coming rappers are selected to participate in the XXL Freshman Freestyle, established in 2007 by XXL Magazine. The event is known for jumpstarting careers of rappers such as Kid Cudi...

Shenah Kababchy thanks the coaches as she is called during the wrestling senior night.

[Photo]

Joel Clevenger shakes hands with head coach Billy Bower during the senior night presentation.

[Photo]

Guillermo Torres and Payton Jackson lock together at the beginning of the match.

[Photo]

Guillermo Torres pins holds down Payton Jackson to remain in the lead.

[Photo]

Guillermo Torres twists Payton Jackson and forces him down on the mat.

[Photo]

Guillermo Torres lifts Payton Jackson. Torres won the match to remain undefeated with a record of 28-0.

[Photo]

Guillermo Torres pins down Turner Ashbys Payton Jackson as the clock winds down. Torres went on to with the match 21-6.

[Photo]

Guillermo Torres pins down Turner Ashby's Payton Jackson as the clock winds down. Torres went on to with the match 21-6.

Fahad Mohammed lays on top of a Spotswood wrestler during the first period of their match.

[Photo]

Fahad Mohammed pins down the Spotswood wrestler while the referee watches to award points.

[Photo]

Fahad Mohammed holds back a Spotswood wrestlers arms to try to hold the win as the clock ran down in overtime.

[Photo]

Fahad Mohammed and a Spotswood wrestler struggle on the mat during the end of the second period of their match.

[Photo]

Fahad Mohammed holds a Spotswood wrestler in a headlock.

[Photo]

Reynolds travels world for tech company

Reynolds travels world for tech company

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief January 25, 2018

Weston Reynolds did not plan on having the job position he is in currently as Senior Associate at Greycroft, but after being in the technology field for a while he found the career he believes is fit for...

Junior Marcus Robinson-Jenkins runs up the middle on the goal line to score a touchdown against the Gobblers of Broadway. The Streaks went on to beat the Gobblers 35-6.

Robinson-Jenkins hopes to bounce back from foot injury

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief November 29, 2017

Finishing as a first team all-district running back and defensive back with over 1,700 yards rushing and receiving, junior Marcus Robinson-Jenkins was expected to be an impact player on both sides of the...

Roethlisberger should stay with Steelers

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief March 3, 2017

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback and two time Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger has been with the Steelers for twelve years. Roethlisberger has made the comment “I’m going to take this offseason...

Coach Don Burgess plans the playing strategy with the team

[Photo] Post game allows streaks to defeat Little Giants

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief December 14, 2016

Players chest bump after a play

Streaks win in high scoring shootout against Lee

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief October 30, 2016

The Blue Streaks took on Fighting Leeman on Oct. 28. The game ended in a 58-42 win for the Streaks to improve their record to 6-3. The game started of to a Blue Streak rushing touchdown by quarterback...

Juliana Lee dives for the ball to keep the volley going.

JV Volleyball vs. John Handley

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief October 20, 2016

Sarah Hartman sets the ball to her teammate Ella Kearney.

[Photo]

Head coach Laurie Kraus talks offense to the team during a time out.

[Photo]

Sarah Earle serves the ball to the to the Judges.

[Photo]

Varsity coach Hannah Bowman cheers on team captain Anne Penrod during a time out.

[Photo]

Juliana Lee hits the ball back over the net after the serve by the Judges.

[Photo]

Shadther Rosso-Feliz hits the ball to her teammate Paula Moreira.

[Photo]

Abby McCollum serves the ball the Judges.

[Photo]

Paula Moreira misses the serve from the Judges.

[Photo]

Ella Kearney sets the ball back over the net after the Judges hit.

[Photo]

JMU to demolish CAA competition

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief October 7, 2016

James Madison University football is going to demolish any competition in the CAA. The Dukes have a 3-1 record as of Sept. 24 with their only loss being to the North Carolina Tar Heels, which was expected....

Robinson shines in Streaks victory

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief October 4, 2016

After being postponed due to weather, the Homecoming football game took place on Monday Oct. 3. The Streaks took on the Waynesboro Little Giants and came out with a 25-14 victory. The first half was...

Football: HHS vs Charlottesville

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief September 10, 2016

On Friday September 9, the Harrisonburg Blue Streaks took on the Black Knights of Charlottesville. The first quarter was back and forth with a touchdown by Marcus Robinson to put the Streaks up 7-0 going...

Runnells receives Virginia Journalist of the Year award at JDay

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief May 6, 2016

On April 23, three Newsstreak staff members attended the JDay journalism conference at Westfield High School. The conference consisted of write-offs, lunch and educational sessions to help journalists...

English classes fly kites to experience The Kite Runner

English classes fly kites to experience “The Kite Runner”

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief March 25, 2016

“The Kite Runner”, by Khaled Hosseini is read by all of the English 10 honors classes and is one of the most-enjoyed books at that grade level. In fact novel is one of many in the running for the...

Girls cross country team is off, staying as a pack at the beginning of the race.

Leaman still a part of cross country team from sideline

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief November 5, 2015

The varsity cross country teams both placed in their conference meet. They boys placed third overall and were led by Abraham Amine and the girls were led by Hannah Miller. Miller placed first out of all...

Opinion: HHS football is the best in the district

Owen Marshall, Editor-in-Chief September 30, 2015

Harrisonburg High School’s football team is the best in the district. With struggling seasons in the past the Blue Streaks are ready to win. The football team is 2-2, which is already tied with the amount...

Load More Stories
Activate Search
Owen Marshall