Less homework needed

Nyah Phengsitthy, Editor-in-Chief

Whether it’s playing a sport, working a job, or even being a part of a musical, doing an extracurricular activity is normal in high school; it’s actually recommended that we do one too. With all of the activities students are doing, wouldn’t it help if we had a little less homework? From personal experience and feedback from other students, homework is like a part time job, and we are drowning in it. We are in school for seven hours a day and then get fed another three hours of homework. I feel as if some teachers only think about their class and not of the other classes their students have. There are students out there taking AP, dual enrollment or honors classes. Actually, it doesn’t even matter what class you’re taking, it’s the fact that teachers are giving out way too much homework and not thinking about their students personally. There are many cases in the school where a student has a job and they don’t get off until late. Or cases when a football or basketball game runs late and they don’t get home until really, really late on a school night.

Teachers don’t have to always think about us, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask themselves, “What time do they get home from their game?” or “How long is he working today?” Getting lots of homework every night is stressful. Life would be so much easier if teachers from different departments got together and worked out a homework schedule by trying to figure out when to give homework and when to set project due dates. This is because we are getting hours and hours of homework every night.  It can be difficult to balance out personal life and doing an extracurricular activity, along with being at school all day and then going home to an excessive amount of homework.

Colleges these days are looking for students who do extra curricular activities. With that being said, not only are we taking on sports and clubs just because we like it, but we’re taking them on to make us look good; if colleges want that, then we will do it.

We aren’t pushing ourselves to all of these tasks and activities of our own accord, but we’re doing it because the school expects so much out of us. The school wants us to be a part of so many things. Students love being involved in things after school, but don’t get me wrong, how can the school want us to do so many things, but yet halt us from doing them by giving us way too much homework? Don’t forget that school starts at 7:45 a.m everyday for us, which leads to another topic about sleep and school hours. But for now, we need to focus on the thought that students are just sinking in homework.
Of course, having homework isn’t a bad thing, but having too much can be. Students have things to do other than school. So teachers, next time you give out an assignment, please remember not to suffocate us with work, but instead, remember that we are taking other classes and not just yours.