Outdoor track team competes in home meet

Some+of+the+boys+run+during+the+meet.+

Nyah Phengsitthy

Some of the boys run during the meet.

Nyah Phengsitthy, Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday, April 21, the track team competed in a home meet against Waynesboro High School, Turner Ashby and Spotswood High School. The meet was originally planned on Wednesday, April 20, but was later postponed to the next day due to air conditions from the Rocky Mountain fire. Regular events were held at the track meet. Freshman Fernando Posada ran the 1600 meter and had mixed feelings before this meet.

“I usually have a lot of anxiety and I’m really nervous at the starting line, but once the gun goes off everything just leaves my mind and then I’m running,” Posada said.

Freshman Sam Fletcher ran the 100 and 200 meter dash all throughout the season so far.

The boys start the 100 meter race.

“I’m a sprinter, so I like to just go in and go fast. I don’t like the mile because I’m not going as fast,” Fletcher said.

For senior Darwan Najmuldeen, this was his last meet of the season. He ran the 4×100 meter and 200 meter dash. Najmuldeen’s goal for his last track meet was to beat his place from the previous meet.

“I think I’ll do my best on the 200 because last time I got second place. I almost was in first, but I got second, so this time I want to get first place,” Najmuldeen said.

Junior Ali Al-Shebani participated in the pole vaults, along with running the 100 and 200 meter dash.

“The 100 meter dash is very nice because it’s all quick, it’s all jolts of energy from your body just flowing. You’re going very very fast and you’re getting it all out of you system. You don’t have to pace yourself, you just go for it,” Shebani said.

Students on the track team look for many strategies to become the most successful in their event. Posada paces himself differently for each event.

“I pace myself a certain way. I stay somewhat relaxed the first two laps of the mile, the third lap starts to get pretty hard and then the fourth lap I start gradually increasing my speed,” Posada said.

The next track meet will be Saturday, April 23 at Turner Ashby High school.