Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Lucie Rutherford

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief

Lucie Rutherford is a senior, 4 year staff member on the Newsstreak and an Editor-In-Chief. Lucie loves volleyball and tennis, loves her cat Homer and any and every kind of food. She is looking to study chemistry in college, but is looking to continue journalism in some way.

All content by Lucie Rutherford
Musical director and drama teacher Stan Swartz exemplifies proper stage combat to his drama class with freshman Kai Johnson.

Musical director, drama teacher Stan Swartz announces retirement

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief May 25, 2018

Stunned silence filled the auditorium. The man who has directed HHS musicals for the past 31 years, who has won state championships, had announced his retirement. Junior Marissa Plummer, a stage manager...

Gaston-Majors gives a child a pair of The Shoe That Grows.

Gaston-Majors places top six in Mrs. World

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief May 7, 2018

In late December of 2017, Charity Gaston-Majors made her way to South Africa for the Mrs. World competition. Gaston-Majors finished the competition within the top six, against 36 other contestants from...

Senior Corin Vogel speaks to the crowd at the student-led gun control walkout in April.

Gun reform advocates encourage student voting on 19th Columbine anniversary

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief April 20, 2018

“Bang, pow, bullets flying, like the speed of light as fast as lightning, seeing the ground catching my dad, man it was frightening.” This was the start of the poem by HHS junior Juniel Rodriguez,...

A sandwich with seasoned sprouts offered at Mashita.

Mashita offers unique Korean menu

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief April 13, 2018

Driving down Market Street towards I-81, Mashita is hard to miss. The light gray truck has graffiti-style writing on its side stating the food truck’s name, which means “delicious” in Korean. The...

Applying early is key to senior year

Applying early is key to senior year

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief April 2, 2018

To all future seniors, I have one piece of advice (well, more than one, but take this very, very important one): apply early. This is an idea that almost every senior has had cross their mind at one point...

Senior Lawan Rasul (left) and junior Sadeeq Saffo (right) face each other with the Kurdish and Iraqi flags painted respectively on their faces.

Kurdish-Iraqi tensions escalate as conflict continues

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief March 27, 2018

It was two years ago when junior Sadeeq Saffo first immigrated to the United States. Saffo came from the Iraqi city of Baghdad, where he lived during the heat of the Iraq War as a young boy. “Everything...

Colin Newcity poses with his two sisters, Aidan Newcity (left) and Allison Newcity, after his high school graduation in 2009.

Newcity siblings discover separate paths

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief March 20, 2018

Cumulatively, all three Newcity siblings attended Harrisonburg High School for 12 years. Now six years after the youngest graduated, the three have gone through their own journeys, though have ventured...

Members of the community join hands in recognition of the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School. HHS spent 17 minutes holding hands in a unity chain around the halls to show their support.

[Video] Students, staff stand in solidarity with Parkland

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief March 14, 2018

Every inch of the 280,000 square-foot building fell silent at 10 a.m. Mar. 14. Shortly after, the words “Never again” were chanted in unison among all 1,800 individuals lining the hallways. At this...

Lucie Rutherford (middle) stands with her four older brothers on Thanksgiving of 2016.

Upbringing with older brothers leads to thick skin

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief December 18, 2017

Growing up, I never knew the true value of being the only girl and the youngest in the presence of four rowdy older brothers. Though I didn't recognize its true value, I always enjoyed the attention. Despite...

Skyline staffer Alan Quimby lip syncs a rock song with a fellow back-up guitar player.

[Photo]

Tamra Atkins sings Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood in the third annual Harrisonburg Lip Sync Battle. All the proceeds were donated to Any Given Child.

[Photo]

Tamra Atkins sings "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood in the third annual Harrisonburg Lip Sync Battle. All the proceeds were donated to Any Given Child.

Maggie Nave and Spencer Pelfrey hug it out in front of the crowd. During this performance, all of the contestants performed at the same time.

[Photo]

Alan Quimby shows his style in order to rake in the crowd votes. In this competition, voters could vote as many times as they wanted, resulting in one winner.

[Photo]

Tamra Atkins performing If I Could Turn Back Time.

[Photo]

Tamra Atkins performing "If I Could Turn Back Time."

Keister Elementary music teacher Maggie Nave lip syncs while using many facial expressions. Nave ended second in the battle.

[Photo]

Keister Elementary teacher Kristen Loflin performs Shake It Off by Taylor Swift for her final performance. Loflin finished the battle in first place.

[Photo]

Keister Elementary teacher Kristen Loflin performs "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift for her final performance. Loflin finished the battle in first place.

Alan Quimby performs during the middle round of the Lip Sync Battle. Quimby ended in fifth place for the battle.

[Photo]

Laura Smith prepares locally grown peppers for the elementary school students to try

“Project Grows” brings pepper-tasting to Keister for Farm to School Week

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief October 6, 2017

As kindergarten through fifth graders made their way to and from lunch on Oct. 5, there was something different awaiting them. In honor of national Farm to School week, the nonprofit educational farm “Project...

Farm Manager Laura Smith and Assistant Farm Manager Alicia Cooley of Project Grows farm cut sweet peppers for the students of Keister Elementary School to taste on Oct. 5. Our big goal with the tastings is just to get kids to try new veggies, Smith said.

[Photo]

Farm Manager Laura Smith and Assistant Farm Manager Alicia Cooley of Project Grows farm cut sweet peppers for the students of Keister Elementary School to taste on Oct. 5. "Our big goal with the tastings...

Laura Smith cuts multicolored sweet peppers for the entire school.

[Photo]

One of the elementary schoolers prepares herself before trying the new food. Students were both disgusted and delighted by the taste.

[Photo]

A student examines her friend to see whether or not she should partake in the tasting.

[Photo]

Laura Smith displays the varying colors of peppers to another Keister student.

[Photo]

Alicia Cooley mans the tasting cart as students file in and out of the lunchroom.

[Photo]

HHS marching band members march with the Dukes.

Students find different reasons to participate in JMU Band Day

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief September 18, 2017

Each year, the award-winning Marching Royal Dukes (MRD's), James Madison University’s marching band, invite motivated high schoolers to come join them in a day full of experience and performance. Members...

There is no hardest sport

There is no “hardest sport”

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief May 12, 2017

Everyone has heard the line, if not said it themselves, that (insert sport here) is the hardest sport of them all. By saying this, it not only straight up dogs other sports, but it causes endless arguments....

Enjoy the game

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief March 29, 2017

When first announcing to people that my beloved NFL team is the Broncos, most people come to the conclusion that I know nothing about football, and that I’ve jumped on the bandwagon, just like all the...

Spotswood Elementary gets involved in the community

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief March 17, 2017

Countless service learning projects go on at Spotswood Elementary School (SES) every year amongst a variety of teachers in order to give students a new perspective as to what they can do to help out their...

Unique twist on hot chocolate

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief February 21, 2017

Despite not having any snow days this year, and probably a cumulative two inches of snow throughout the entire winter season, senior Rodrigo Zamora still has memories of his favorite snowy day recipe:...

A group of students from the cast prepares their costumes before going out to practice

[Photo] Musical check-in

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief February 2, 2017

Avila finds community as his parents are gone for holidays

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief January 11, 2017

For many, the holiday season means being together with family and taking part in family traditions. For senior Carlos Avila, a big part of that family aspect was missing these past holidays. Avila’s...

The clarinet section plays along with the rest of the band

Winter band and choir concert

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief December 12, 2016

Every year in December, all of the bands come together in one place. On Dec. 8, each of the four: Jazz Ensemble, Concert and Symphonic Bands and for their debut, the United Sound Band, performed a...

Elementary school student bite into a pepper.

[Photo] Produce changes children’s outlook

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief October 9, 2016

Junior Romero walks alongside the band during Band Day

HHS band plays with Marching Royal Dukes

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief September 14, 2016

For the past three years, the Marching Royal Dukes, JMU’s band, has invited high school students from all over the East Coast to join them in a halftime performance at one of the Saturday football...

Rutherford in the heat of the game.

Opinion: Tennis is just as much a sport as others

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief May 24, 2016

When most people think of sports, tennis seems to be one that slips the mind of almost every person. I will admit that, before this spring, tennis was not on my top ten list of sports either. It seems...

Turner proposes to his girlfriend

Feature: HHS alumnus, rising NFL player Landon Turner proposes to girlfriend of three years

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief January 21, 2016

As a college football player, schedules are busy. As an NFL player, schedules are even more hectic. For HHS alumnus and soon to be NFL player Landon Turner, that schedule is about to become busier than...

Logan poses in front of the field.

Boy’s tennis coach a legacy in his field

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief April 27, 2015

Many people at HHS are unaware of the accomplishments of Danny Logan - the boys’ tennis coach for the fourth year running. From being a state runner-up to state champion during his high school career,...

Stader (left) and Roberts in their costumes.

Roberts and Stader make use of new Halloween policy

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief November 23, 2014

With a new year and a new principal, Principal Cynthia Prieto is implementing many changes this holiday season. If you were to walk into HHS this Halloween you could see the inner child coming out of many...

Students welcome Bojangles to the Burg

Students welcome Bojangles to the Burg

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief October 17, 2014

September 20, 2014 is a day to remember in the mind of your average “chicken n’ biscuits” lover. The famous southern fast food restaurant, Bojangles is known for their Cajun-style fried chicken,...

Seniors Campbell Rutherford, Isaiah Hertzler, and junior Luis Pinedo-Lafferty break through the banner at the E.C. Glass home game on August 29.

Football: An American Tradition

Lucie Rutherford, Editor-in-Chief September 5, 2014

Football has been around since before the 1800s. Given it has changed since then, football is an American tradition. It’s part of who America is just like soccer is a part of Brazil and rugby a part...

Load More Stories
Activate Search
Lucie Rutherford