Skyline eighth graders visit for early orientation

Freshman+Alissa+Burnette+gives+the+upcoming+9th+graders+a+tour+of+the+building.+

Samantha Little

Freshman Alissa Burnette gives the upcoming 9th graders a tour of the building.

Samantha Little, Editor-in-Chief

On Monday, March 21 the 165 eighth graders from Skyline Middle School, accompanied by their various teachers and counselors, took a trip across town to begin their transition into high school. Their visit to the school included a presentation of what to expect in high school, a JROTC step performance and a tour of the building led by student ambassadors. According to counseling co-director Rachel Linden, the purpose of their visit was to begin the orientation process for the rising ninth graders.

The goal was to give the 8th graders an idea of what opportunities they will have in high school, [both] academic and extracurricular, and give them a chance to tour our school. It is the first of several events to help orient rising 9th graders to high school,” Linden said.

For Isaiah Jordan, an eighth grader with a worry about not being able to his find classes in such a big school, the tour made him feel more confident about coming to the high school. However, he still finds some aspects of the transition worrisome.  

“I’m not ready to come to the high school. I’m worried about how to fit in and I’m most nervous about the classes getting harder and not understanding what’s going on,” Jordan said. Apart from that, he looks forward to the sports he’ll be able to do, such as playing basketball, taking P.E. and being a member of the choir.

Grace Miller was another attendee who felt better about coming to the high school after her visit.

“I was mostly excited but a bit nervous about going somewhere new,” Miller said. “Most of my nerves have now gone away.”

With her change into high school, Miller is looking forward to meeting new people and taking more advanced classes, as well as exploring new areas and subjects.

“I think I’m ready to leave Skyline because I’m excited for this new opportunity and to discover and explore a new place and get out of the school I already know,” Miller said.