Opinion: Twenty One Pilots produces powerful music

Sarah Earle, Editor-in-Chief

If you asked me what my favorite band is, without a doubt I would scream Twenty One Pilots. Something about their music is so powerful that even words couldn’t describe.

The band consists of the lead singer, Tyler Joseph, who also plays the piano and ukulele, as well as the drummer, Josh Dun. Previous members include: Chris Salih, the old drummer, and Nick Thomas the previous bassist. In 2009, still in high school, Tyler Joseph came up with the idea to form a band. Joseph and his friends, Chris Salih and Nick Thomas formed Twenty One Pilots in Columbus, Ohio. They came up with the idea for the name while studying All My Sons by Arthur Miller because they were inspired by the moral dilemma of the story. On Dec. 29th, 2009, Twenty One Pilots released their first album entitled “Twenty One Pilots”, and then toured Ohio. In 2011, Josh Dun joined the group because Chris Salih and Nick Thomas had to leave due to busy schedules. The band went from releasing tracks on Soundcloud to playing at small venues. They eventually got a record deal with Atlantic Records and their most recent album ended up becoming No. 1 on the Billboard 200. The newer fans of Twenty One Pilots mostly like the band for their beats, rhythm and talent, but their solid fan base truly loves this band because the influence the band’s music has on them. The message they send to broken, lost and depressed young adults and teenagers makes them popular. In the song “Guns for Hands” on the album “Vessel” (2011) Joseph sings, “The solution is I see a whole room of these mutant kids. Fused at the wrist, I simply tell them they should shoot at this. Simply suggest my chest and this confused music, it’s obviously best for them to turn their guns to a fist.” That song is directed towards teens or young adults who have thought about attempting suicide.

The thing that I like most about Twenty One Pilots is their ability to write their own music. It is rare to find artists these days who write their own music, which is disappointing. These two guys collaborate their skills and come up with it all. Joseph’s family stated that there was no history of their family ever being musically talented. Growing up, Joseph played soccer and was very successful in that, but then suddenly took interest in music. He also recalls randomly walking into a thrift store one day, and buying a ukulele because he was bored, so he taught himself how to play. Joseph learned how to play piano by himself as well.

Twenty One Pilots best album is “Vessel” without a doubt. Each song on that album has emotion and a story behind it, as well as creativity and flavor. Any original fan of Twenty One Pilots will say that it’s by far the best. The first album of theirs, “Twenty One Pilots”, is also quite fantastic, making it a close call between the two as a favorite. The best songs on the first album would be “Implicit Demand For Proof” and “Fall Away”. On “Vessel”, the best songs would be “Fake You Out”, “Semi Automatic” and “Truce”. Let’s just say I rarely take that album off of my record player.

The album “Blurryface” changed everything for Twenty One Pilots. I would honestly say that they would not be as well known if it weren’t for this new album. Everything is different, including the sound, the reputation, the fame and the fans. At first, I was really fond of the album, but I would say that my liking of the album didn’t last too long. This album is a little more loud and sort of has some more pop to it. For many of the old Twenty One Pilots fans, it’s become a disappointment because it’s been overplayed and not as original. I hate to say it, “Blurryface” is not their best work.

In one of my favorite songs by Twenty One Pilots, “Fake You Out”, Joseph sings, ”What kids are doing is killing themselves. They feel they have no control of their prisoner’s cell, and if you’re one of them then you’re one of me and you would do almost anything just to feel. Am I right? Of course I am, convincing me otherwise would take all night. Before you walk away, there’s one more thing I’d want to say. Our brains are sick, but that’s okay.”