Students bike, drive, ride bus to school

Irene Liu

Sophomore Cora Sawin rides her bike home after band practice. “[Biking] is a great way to stay healthy and stay more awake and it’d be awesome if more people did it,” Sawin said.

Irene Liu, Feature Page Editor

When HHS students get to school in the morning they can either ride the bus, drive, bike, or walk. Those who can drive on their own can pay for student parking in the large parking lot facing the side of the school where cars pull up to drop off their students and bikers park their bikes while buses pull up and drop off students on the other side of the field near the tennis courts. For students who live farther away from the school, taking the bus or getting sent to school in a car might be an easier choice. Freshman Brianna Kelley’s mother drives her to school each morning since they live about a half hour away.

“[My mom] has to come here early, and we live outside the district so the buses don’t come by to pick me up and it’s the only way I can get to school. I usually get here anywhere from 7:05 to 7:15 and I usually leave my house at 6:45 or 6:50 because it takes a long time to get from our house to the school. I’ve driven [to school] for as long as I can remember,” Kelley said.

For those who live closer to HHS, they can easily bike or walk to school if they choose. Sophomore Cora Sawin rides her bike to school every morning with a group of around three to five other students.

[Biking] is a great way to stay healthy and stay more awake and it’d be awesome if more people did it.

— Cora Sawin

“[Biking] keeps me in decent shape, it’s a good way to actually wake up in the morning so I don’t actually fall asleep during first block. It’s a great way to stay healthy and stay more awake and it’d be awesome if more people did it. Biking is really great if you live less than four miles away, anything more, that’s kind of ridiculous. Of course carpooling can be really great, and the bus isn’t a bad way to get to school certainly, it works really well,” Sawin said.

Kelley also believes that riding the bus or walking can sometimes be an easy way of transportation even though she mostly depends on car transportation.

If I lived near my friends then we’d all be on the same bus, but if I was the only person that I knew on the bus, then I would much rather ride in the car and sleep.

— Brianna Kelley

“When I’m in the car, it’s usually early in the morning and I’m tired, so I try to just close my eyes, catch up on missing sleep. I would rather ride a bus, but it depends on the bus. If I lived near my friends then we’d all be on the same bus, but if I was the only person that I knew on the bus, then I would much rather ride in the car and sleep,” Kelley said.

Freshman Kaitlyn Cue usually rides the school bus to school in the mornings and back home in the evenings. She believes her bus is less crowded, making her ride more comfortable.

“[My bus] is not as packed, probably twenty five to thirty [people on the bus]. With an empty bus it’s not as loud and you can find a seat easier,” Cue said. She also believes that the bus is an easier way to get to school. “It’s a great way of transportation because it just makes it a lot easier on parents and on students,” Cue said.

Sometimes, weather will affect how students get to school, especially when winter comes and temperatures drop.

“I bike until it gets twenty degrees, and then I call it off because that’s just ridiculous. Fortunately, my parents are able to drive me if it gets too awfully cold or really rainy, which is really nice,” Sawin said.

Pullquote Photo

Sometimes it’s really cold and I just don’t feel like taking the bus and waiting outside.

— Kaitlyn Cue

Cue also believes that the weather helps her decide whether to wait for a bus or ride in a car.

“Sometimes it’s really cold and I just don’t fell like taking the bus and waiting outside,” Cue said. The tight schedule buses run on also affects her decision on whether to take the bus or a car. “Sometimes I wake up late and I don’t have enough time to get ready and go to the bus stop, so I also do that.”

Students have  options to choose from when it comes to transportation to and from school.