Yoder finds numerous benefits with being bilingual

Carrie Yoder, Staff Reporter

I think that learning a second language is very important. A psychologist from York University says that students who are studying a second language do a better job on standardized tests, especially in vocabulary, reading and math. A study from University in Chicago says that studying a second language improves your decision making skills. I enjoy knowing a second language because I can really connect with the culture of the language.

People also retain more if they are bilingual. Some people might not know, but learning a second language actually helps to improve your first language. Learning a second language makes you more conscious of the grammar in your first language.

Being able to speak to other people who know the language is an awesome experience. Learning another language definitely helps with travels to other countries;even just knowing a handful of phrases helps with surviving in that country. Some people are more friendly and open to getting to know you if they know you can speak their language. Knowing a second language has definitely pushed me to want to travel to more places and learn more about different cultures. Learning a new language is a great way to make new friends.

Some people think knowing english is enough because most everyone speaks english, but just in Harrisonburg City Schools there are 47 languages spoken. I am glad that the high school encourages students to learn a new language. Learning a second language and the culture around it is a way to become open-minded. You start to realize there is more than just english and the way Americans do things. Seeing other people speaking other languages encourages me to want to learn new languages to be able to communicate with other people.

I am really grateful to have grown up in bilingual household, learning to speak two really different languages. I grew up speaking chinese and make regular trips to Taiwan over the summer.  I was able to communicate with my relatives and am able to switch languages when I don’t want people to know what I am talking about. Being able to speak another language builds self-confidence.

I really think that students should learn a second language and become fluent in it. I think that this will really help students later on in the future to make new friends, find jobs and travel more.