Q/A with counselor Korey Lamb

Lamb works at his desk.

Sam Heie

Lamb works at his desk.

Sam Heie, Editor-in-Chief

This is Korey Lamb’s first year working as a counselor at HHS.

Q: What is your counseling background?

A: I have been counseling for the last year. I spent a year as an intern at a high school in Staunton, and at Thomas Harrison Middle School, but this is my first year as a full time counselor.

Q: What do you think is the most interesting thing about you?

A: I like to sing; I have been singing for a long time now. I also like to cook. I have dreams of traveling from country to country.

Q: Why did you decide to become a counselor?

A: I love working with students and the educational setting. I knew I wasn’t a teacher, both my parents were teachers, and I liked what they did, the fact that they worked in schools, but that wasn’t where my gift was. I went to school for counseling and I realized it was something I really enjoyed doing.

Q: Why did you decide to come to HHS?

A: I did an internship at Thomas Harrison Middle School and I really liked the kids of Harrisonburg. I also went to JMU, so I have been in Harrisonburg for the last eight years. I love Harrisonburg. It feels like home, so when given the option of applying, I applied here.

Q: What has been your favorite thing about counseling here so far?

A: The students and how diverse it is. I love hearing the stories and seeing the commitment in the students to reach their aspirations.

Q: What’s the craziest thing that has happened in your counseling experience so far?

A: Schedule changes.

Q: What has been the most difficult thing about counseling here?

A: Knowing everybody wants the perfect schedule and knowing that I can’t always get it. I try to give them what they need and then what they want and that is sometimes hard.

Q: What are you trying to put an emphasis on this year?

A: Personally, I just want to see growth in myself. For my students, I want to see goal setting and how they reach those goals.

Q: What has most surprised you about being a new counseling here?

A: How welcoming the community is. I am getting to know people and being welcomed by the Blue Streak community.

Q: What do you most look forward to for this year?

A: Seeing where my students and I were at the beginning of the year and seeing how they grew towards the end of the year.