Rising freshman tour HHS

Joshua Byrd, Advertising Manager

On March 23, Harrisonburg High School hosted the Class of 2019. 8th graders from Skyline Middle School and Thomas Harrison Middle School were given tours of their future school for the next four years. THMS came in the morning, while SMS came during the afternoon hours of the school day. In total, 30 members of the Newsstreak staff helped give tours to over 300 rising freshman.

The event was not just for giving tours; it also included an information session about the school. Athletic Director Darren Wilson talked about how students can participate in sports. Co-Director of Guidance, Rachel Linden, also touched on the processes of choosing classes, and presented a video that showed all the clubs the school offers. Guidance Counselor Tim Meyers discussed SOL testings, classes, and the processes for choosing classes.

“It’s part of the readiness factor, trying to get them ready so they won’t be totally overwhelmed when they go in the doorway and there is 1500 people here.” Meyers said. “What we do is give them an indoctrination of our process of A) scheduling and B) how much they need to do to finish each year, what they should be expecting with an advance diploma or regular diploma. It is a matter of getting them to that next step.”We asked how many want to go to college and they all raised their hands, so that’s a great feeling.”