Fine Arts Academy presents showcase

The+women+after+the+show.+

Amber Corriston

The women after the show.

Brenna Cowardin, Print Editor-in-Chief

In a class of 15 girls, feminism is sure to be a common topic. The sophomore and junior class of the Fine Arts Academy showed just how powerful girls can be in a showcase centered around ♀.

Sophomore Piper Saatva, a member of the visual arts strand, painted an abstract iris with two small hands reaching out of it.

“I made [this painting] because sometimes girls hide behind their very own eyes, hide behind themselves when they need to be open and just be themselves,” Saatva said.

Sophomore Molly Campillo, a member of the creative writing strand, represented her words visually.

“[My piece] is a booklet that visually represents 11 really important women women in my life that are role-models or really perfect examples of a certain quality,” Campillo said. The idea came to her with the creation of the theme, ♀.

“When I heard ‘Girls and Women,’ I thought of the people in my life that are so important to me,” Campillo said.

For this showcase, Fine Arts Academy teachers, Amber Corriston, Bethany Houff and Jauan Brooks, got involved, as well as three other influential women teaching at HHS, history teacher Cara Walton, art teacher Kelly Shradley-Horst and English teacher Melody Wilson.

Corriston danced to the song that she danced to many times for pageant competitions as a teen.

“When they came to us with the theme, I immediately went to the word ‘pageant’ because I was involved with a pageant, many pageants, and because I think of the stereotypes that come with being a women, really being anybody, and we don’t fit those stereotypes,” Corriston said.

However, by the time her dance was choreographed, and she found herself on the stage, Corriston’s piece signified more than breaking out of stereotypes.

“As the piece evolved, it was really that reflection of being 18. That part of me is still there; I can still feel being that 18 year-old, but yet, [I also feel] the wisdom and maturity that comes with living life and seeing where life takes you,” Corriston said. “I was also thinking about [life] in 20 years. What will this look like? What will I be feeling of today that I remember?”

The idea for the show came from the students.

“It came from a creative writing prompt that they did in class, and it was all their idea. They came to us, which was really cool,” Corriston said. She sings the praises of the students in the Fine Arts Academy.

“These girls are awesome. They’re just finding new voices. One of the best thing about this showcase was the new ideas for collaboration, people going outside of their strands and pushing themselves,” Corriston said.

Corriston saw the showcase as just a step in the girls’ growth process.

“Whenever you’re doing something together as a team, there’s so much bonding that happens,” Corriston said. “Just watching them stand on stage [together] for that last piece was really fantastic. It made me have tears just looking at who they are and who they’re becoming.”