Winter Guard captures Tyler

Winter+guard+junior+Hannah+Tyler.+

Winter guard junior Hannah Tyler.

Atticus Bolyard, Staff Reporter

For most members of the HHS color guard team, the season ended in fall with the last marching band competition. That wasn’t enough for junior Hannah Tyler.

Tyler plans to continue her involvement in colorguard through the winter with Winter Guard, a competitive activity for only the most dedicated flag-twirlers.

“I love guard, and I love being able to go out and compete with people who have the same passion,” Tyler said.

Tyler tried out for a spot on the regional Winter Guard team in the late fall of 2014, and will begin official practices at the beginning of 2015. The team practices at Fort Defiance High School but is made up of about 15-20 high schoolers from surrounding schools. Tyler, the only member from HHS, said that a few JMU Color Guard members are also involved with the squad in various capacities.

Tyler will be on the team for the second year in a row.

“It’s only been around for three years, and this is the first time there’s only one person from HHS on the team,” Tyler said. “Hopefully I’ll be able to represent us well.”

Tyler said that practices generally consist of core exercises and stretching, followed by going over flag moves.  This year, the team will also work with rifles and sabers as part of their routine.

Winter Guard, or just “Guard,” as Tyler affectionately calls it, is a lot more intense than regular color guard teams. It is highly competitive to join, and requires that members travel to various places in Virginia to compete and be judged against other squads.

“A lot of the moves are more rigorous than fall guard,” Tyler said. “I have to work a lot more to [fine-tune] my technique.”

Tyler says that she’s optimistic about the season, but that even more importantly, Winter Guard has introduced her to a lot of people who are now some of her best friends.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Tyler said. “I plan to keep doing it.”