ELT Bootcamp proves productive

ELT+Bootcamp+proves+productive+

Ben Coffey, Staff Reporter

Every Thursday after first period all students are given the opportunity to work in a classroom of their choice. This ability to work freely for an hour is known as Extended Learning Time (ELT).

Students have also been a part of a bullying program which requires the teachers to discuss any harsh activity at HHS.

Over the past week of December 8th ELT was taken an hour out of each day. Students who were failing their SOL’s or classes worked to retake and pass them. This also gave time for people to work ahead in their studies.

Blake Rhodenizer, a freshman and member of the band of HHS, shares ELT with people of Mrs. Walton’s first period class. He supports the idea of having ELT time in order to catch up and work on projects and unfinished assignments.

“It gives me a chance to complete assignments which I could not complete at home due to lack of time,” Rhodenizer said.

Rhodenizer also mentioned how enjoyable ELT was because of his chance to work with friends while learning.

“It gives me a chance to perform better in my classes,” Rhodenizer said.

Eleanor Alger, a sophomore at HHS, also agrees that ELT is a helpful time for work and learning. She enjoys the freedom and time to raise her grades and learn with a quiet environment.

“I have a lot of other work and projects in which I must complete; ELT bootcamp is a great time for me to do so,” Alger said.

The purpose of ELT bootcamp was also to allow students who failed SOL tests in the past, to retake the test in order to graduate.

Kasey Hovermale, a chemistry teacher of HHS, also agrees that bootcamp was helpful to those who are struggling on the material she is teaching.

“The students get the little bit of extra time they need to understand and be successful in their learning and on the test.”

Though it does take away from some class time, students are finding ELT to be a helpful way to work ahead. The ELT bootcamp was also found by some teachers to be  an efficient way of succeeding on their final tests.