DECA and Key Club start Operation Warm for local kids

Danny Dombrowski, Staff Reporter

During the winter months in Harrisonburg, temperatures can plummet to below freezing and even below 0. Last year Harrisonburg City Schools had multiple 1 or 2 hour delays solely because of the the temperature outside. With the winter season upon us, a big problem around the school system is keeping kids warm that can’t afford to do so. HHS’ marketing club DECA and Key Club have teamed up to help out with the issue with project warm. DECA sponsor and marketing teacher Mallory Cromer loved the idea.

“The idea came up during a faculty meeting,” Cromer said.

Over the next few weeks, students and faculty are encouraged to bring in any unwanted or extra jackets, mittens, and hats.

“A faculty member has been running a coat drive for the entire city of Harrisonburg, so Key Club donated $1,000 to buy coats. This then led to the idea of project warm,” Cromer said.

DECA is responsible for collecting on the first floor of the building and Key Club has the second floor. The class that brings in the most items, will win lunch of their choice. The class can choose anything from pizza to Mr. J’s. Since this is the first year of the event, it is unclear how successful it will be.

“I think if a lot of people get on board it has the potential to be very successful,” Cromer said.

With it being the holiday’s many people like to help out and give back.

“Everybody likes to give around this time of the year and it is an easy way to make a small difference,” Cromer said.

Make sure to check around the house and clean your closets out to help those less fortunate.