Russian Club expanding

Valentina+Sokolyuk%2C+the+club+sponsor.+

Ben Coffey

Valentina Sokolyuk, the club sponsor.

Ben Coffey, Staff Reporter

There are over 50 clubs which are active at Harrisonburg High School. The Russian Club, sponsored by Valentina Sokolyuk, is a group of students who each work together to help the community.

Each of these students are Russian, and meet together in order to connect in a place where they feel comfortable.

Kevin Sokolyuk is a sophomore at HHS who is involved in the Russian Club. Sokolyuk has been a member of the club for two years and is enjoying his membership.

“I have enjoyed the Russian Club because I have been able to practice Russian and meet several new friends,” Sokolyuk said.

According to Sokolyuk, the club in 2013 was not as successful as the club is now in 2014. There are more members and the activity within the club has expanded. This activity has inspired Sokolyuk and the other members to do more activities throughout Harrisonburg.

“We are now helping the homeless as well and supporting those in our community,” Sokolyuk said.

Diana Yakhnitsya is also a member of the Russian club.

“I am liking the club because it allows me to meet new people, find new friends, and help out with things in the community,” Yakhnitsya said.

The Russian club is growing in size, and is exciting members.

“This club is increasing the reputation of the Russian people. We are comfortable and are able to help each other out,” Sokolyuk said.