Club 101: Gay Straight Alliance

During+the+second+fifteen+minute+period+session%2C+advisor+Seth+Berkeley+starts+a+discussion+with+the+students+about+celebrities+Cee+Lo+Green+and+Jennifer+Lawrence.+

During the second fifteen minute period session, advisor Seth Berkeley starts a discussion with the students about celebrities Cee Lo Green and Jennifer Lawrence.

Ella Marian, Feature Page Editor

During Club Fair at Harrisonburg High School, the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) club was visited by an array of students. The adviser, physics teacher Seth Berkeley started out by telling the students why he wanted to be the adviser of the club.

“I wanted to be the adviser of GSA because I come from Lynchburg, VA. There, it isn’t a really great thing if you’re gay and that isn’t okay,” Berkeley said. Berkeley went on to tell the students how the GSA room is a safe room and everyone should feel comfortable to say what they feel.

“What is said in this room, on a personal level, should not leave this room,” Berkeley said.

The club itself doesn’t have a set order. Berkeley plans out the club each year as to what the students want to do.

“If the students want to be proactive in Gay Rights, then we will. If they want to watch movies about gay and transgender issues and talk about issues, then we will,” Berkeley said. As of right now the goals of the club are yet to be determined.

James Madison University has recently connected with the GSA club to talk about expressed issues with them.

Towards the end of the period Berkeley and the students talked about the issues of celebrity Cee Lo Green on probation and the leaked nude photos of female celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence.

The GSA clubs meets every club day in room 116 and if the club desires to meet more due to lack of club days, it will arrange a movie night or meet up.