Opinion: After the downfall of Dave’s, Xenia Kebab Grille gives Harrisonburg the Mediterranean flavor it needs

Opinion: After the downfall of Daves, Xenia Kebab Grille gives Harrisonburg the Mediterranean flavor it needs

Garrett Thompson, Style Editor

When Dave’s Downtown Taverna closed its doors it was a very sad day for local foodies. As a staple of downtown harrisonburg since the 90’s, Dave’s provided the area with a unique dining experience because of all the options in Harrisonburg, Dave’s was the only one serving Greek food.

Nearly twenty years later there is an entirely new Harrisonburg. The dining scene has expanded to include Vietnamese, Thai, German, Pan-Asian, Ethiopian, and Mediterranean. What could be wrong with that? Well nothing unless you have a craving for a good gyro or souvlaki. For those of you who don’t know; the gyro (pronounced euro), is a staple of fast food Greek food. It is the Big Mac of Sparta. For the longest time, Dave’s was the place in town to get a gyro, fries and a drink for under ten dollars which is why it so quickly became a hot spot for college students and townies alike.

I recently procured a craving for my favorite grecian classic. After driving around town for a while, passing through the major food centers of the burg i.e., downtown and the mall area, I realized there is practically nowhere within the city where one can find an establishment in which a Gyro is purchasable.

At long last, however, I found my salvation: the last piece of Eden on this dirt ball we call home — Xenia Kebab Grille in Harrisonburg Crossing. Being one of the two places I have found so far to serve the delicacy, i just had to see if their gyro lived up to Dave’s.

The atmosphere was so-so and it was small but I didn’t mind. After waiting only ten minutes I could finally set my eyes upon the pile of lamb, onions, cucumbers, and the best condiment in the world, tzatziki sauce layered upon a bed of golden pita bread. If you aren’t feeling too adventurous to try out the lamb, the souvlaki, which is chicken based, is also a good option.

Unfortunately for my taste buds, it did not live up to its predecessor. However, the next time I have a hunkering for a little Mediterranean I may have to make my way over to Xenia Kebab Grille.