Opinion: Crunchy or Chewy – The battle of the chips

Opinion: Crunchy or Chewy - The battle of the chips

Austin Swift, News Editor

It’s bigger than iPhone or Androids, chess or checkers, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings and even Pac or Biggie; since the dawn of time the entire population that inhabits this earth has been torn between crunchy chocolate chips cookies and chewy chocolate chip cookies. It wasn’t until store bought cookies became available that the crunchy side of things came into the picture. Of course, someone comparing storebought chewies to homemade chewies will most likely have two different views as to which is superior.

As far as homemade cookies go, there really is no competition as to whether or not that fresh-out-of-the-oven, melt-in-your-mouth feeling ranks above that of a two day old cookie, so why even write a story about it? Well, those pieces of cooked dough with a chocolate chip or two inside that society labels as “cookies” are overlooked upon first thought.

Sadly, this is a debate where a clear victor will never emerge, as the crunchy are prime subjects to go along with a spot of milk, while the chewy are for those who like to savor the sugary goodness of it all.

There are two types of people in this world: those who dip their cookies in milk and those who wash them down with it. I, as a cookie dipper, always have been and always will be pro-crunchy. After some extensive and thorough research, I’ve discovered that soft store bought cookies are nowhere near as absorbent as crunchy, while the fact that they’re chewy guarantees a longer stay in your mouth. With the crunchy kind, a crumb or two will get stuck somewhere in the depths of a mouth, only to be dug out by the tongue later on, allowing the consumer to relive that amazing taste of edible joy that went through their system just moments ago. Chewy, although some may call them “soft,” cookies on the other hand get caked on to the gums and teeth, usually causing an uncomfortable feeling- only to an extent though, as a cookie is a cookie.

I’ve recently learned a term that perfectly describes my view of chewy cookies. “false chew.” It’s just so compact, almost comparable to chewing gum, and the dough covers up the already small amount of chocolate chips. A real homemade cookie will be chewy, but still have the flavor spread out around a mouth, while a store bought cookie just rolls around in a little ball until the unsatisfied body decides to swallow.
Another factor which may play into the final decision is the brand. Whether it may be Chips Ahoy or Great Value the result is usually similar.

“Homemade cookies are best when they’re the crunchy side of chewy. Store bought you have to go with crunchy, because the soft kind are soft chewy. They’re undercooked and you can taste the dough, so you just need that crunch,” sophomore Malcolm McGehee said.

Some view the chew as just plain sketchy.

“I think store bought crunchy, because you don’t know if [the chewy ones] are stale or not. Somebody could’ve left them on the counter all night and they’re gross and moldy, but you can’t tell because they’re chewy.” sophomore Keiran McClay said.

In the end it all comes down to the person, brand and maybe even the shape of cookie. I will continue to argue for the superiority of crunchy cookies everywhere, although never against homeade, as nothing can compare.

Cookie Monster, I now speak directly to you. Just imagine a collaboration between the two of us. We could first write a phenomenal sequel to this article and then progress to the creation of a cookie encyclopedia.