Streaks blast through conference meet

Yusuf Aboutabl, Feature Editor

The HHS outdoor track team traveled to Millbrook High School to compete in the Conference 21 West Championship. Several runners wanted to extend their season, spending their practices training for this meet.

“For certain events, like our team’s 4×100 relay, we had to qualify by time or by place. For that event, we had a chance for qualifying by time but we were a little bit off,” Senior Kyel Towler said. “The main thing we were worried about was getting top two or getting 44.8 seconds and qualifying by time to get to regionals, but neither happened.”

Injuries usually manifest later in the season, but Towler and his team were fortunate in that regard.

“Something weird happened to us. More of our injuries happened at the beginning of the season rather than later,” Towler said. “I almost pulled a hamstring near the beginning, but it healed and I don’t have a single injury”

Senior Sara Penrod also had goals to achieve with her 4×100 meter relay team at the conference track meet.

“The number one thing I worked on with my 4×100 team were handoffs. We were half a second off from qualifying for regionals,” Penrod said. “Handoffs are the only thing we need to solidify to make sure we got that qualifying time. Unfortunately things didn’t go our way. The conditions weren’t ideal. We’re disappointed in the results but glad we tried our best.”

Neither 4×100 team qualified for regionals, meaning the end of the line for them. Kyel Towler was also just a few milliseconds off qualifying for regionals in the 200m dash.