Kline’s, Bella Gelato become favorites because of local ingredients

Iris Cessna

Bella Gelato (left) and Kline’s (right) can both be found in downtown Harrisonburg

Iris Cessna, Feature Editor

Summer heat can be suffocating, both in buildings and out. With this season of taking solace in anything cold a person can find on the way, one specific cold reprieve is a necessity. Ice cream.

The City of Harrisonburg has several ice cream shops, from chains like Dairy Queen to more local vendors, such as the two that come up the most when talking to students, Kline’s and Bella Gelato.

Junior Alice Perrine works at Bella Gelato and has done so since the gelato shop and bakery opened.

“If you’re looking for quality and flavor, I [think that] Bella Gelato is the best, but Kline’s is obviously a classic. And they have the frozen custard thing, which is just so different you can’t even compare them… I think that those are the best two [ice cream shops] that you have,” Perrine said.

Perrine explains how working at Bella Gelato has influenced her view of the store in relation to their local ingredients.

“[Working at Bella Gelato] has made me respect Bella Gelato a lot because I think that we might be one of the only places that makes all of its gelato in the kitchen and we use a lot of local ingredients, and we’re one of the very few places that do that. I’ve gotten more of a respect for getting things locally and naturally,” Perrine said.

Another option for ice cream comes from Freshman Anyi Salabarria.

“I just get it from the grocery store. I don’t have a special place,” Salabarria said.

Freshman Mira Yoder provides another perspective.

“Since I’ve lived in Harrisonburg for two years, I’ve only gone to Kline’s…I like Kline’s. I like ice cream. [Kline’s ice cream] is not the most awesome ice cream I’ve ever had, but it’s really good still,” Yoder said.

Senior Athena Benton also provides insight on the town’s ice cream choices. She is partial to Kline’s, but likes Bella Gelato as well, although she doesn’t go there as often.

“I like Klines the best, I guess…I don’t like Dairy Queen as much because it’s too sugary,” Benton said.

Benton also touched on the idea of local and fresh ice creams when she mentioned that Kline’s makes ice cream fresh in town.

Out of the various ice cream places in town, the two known for being locally-centered got the most votes.