Trump effects some more than others

Angel Hendrix, Online Managing Editor

Today Americans celebrate President’s Day, a federal holiday. While many schools were closed, HHS wasn’t and junior Karina Vazquez doesn’t mind.

“I’m glad we had school because if we had president’s day [off], it’d be like president’s day for Trump. No thank you, I’d rather go to school,” Vazquez said.

Vazquez participated in the walkout back in November, before the election, to protest Donald Trump’s views on immigrants.

“Yes, I [participated] with four other friends. We directed and led the walkout,” Vazquez said. “We chose [to do] that to not only represent us, but the whole school because we are very diverse and as you can see we [have] over 50 nationalities in this school and it’s very populated. We wanted to really speak out and stand up for our beliefs and our races and be proud of where we are from.”

Now that Trump has actually been elected, Vazquez has become more and more afraid.

“It’s very insane of what he’s coming to do. Before… he was really freaking me out, but now he’s actually doing things, he’s taking action and it’s very frightening to think, ‘Whats going to be next?.’” Vazquez said. “He’s already banned muslims and it’s just upsetting that he’s going to start deporting people and just trying to keep this place as supposedly ‘clean’ as possible, but I don’t think he will be able to with the congress being there.”

Vazquez predicts that next, the building of the wall will begin and it will no longer be a crazy idea, but a reality.

“The wall. That’s what I feel like is going to happen. He’s already taking action to that. This is something that will really affect us as people and really tear us apart, not just emotionally, but physically,” Vazquez said.

Freshman Jacob Seefried, has completely different opinions about Trump than Vazquez.

“Initially I didn’t know of all the campaign promises he made and I didn’t fully support all of the stuff that he stood for in the campaign,” Seefried said. “I think during the election he was more extreme with his promises just to get elected, but now that he’s president I think he’s going to calm down and not do all of those crazy things people think he’s going to do. I think everything is going to be fine.”

Recently, there was a national protest to show the importance of immigrants. Around 600 students at HHS participated by not coming to school. Seefried however, didn’t notice much of a difference.

“I saw a bunch of people posting about it on social media and on a snapchat people were posting empty classes, but personally I didn’t notice many people missing from school,” Seefried said. “I didn’t really know what it was for, when it was happening, I didn’t know much about it. But I didn’t notice much of a difference because of my classes I guess, not many people actually attended it, most people stayed.”

Seefried believes the Muslim ban is the only effect we have seen so far since Trump’s inauguration.

“[Trump’s presidency] really had no effect whatsoever except for the Muslim ban, which took place immediately, but you’re not going to see effects… for a couple years,” Seefried said. “That’s how it works with presidents, it takes awhile to start seeing the effects of the outcome of their policy. I think the ban is probably the one effect we see immediately.”

Besides the ban, Seefried predicts that Trump will still try to execute other things he promised during his campaign, but there isn’t anything to worry about.

“I think Trump is going to still try and go out with the policies he promised during the elections. I don’t think he is going to be able to build a wall but I think he might be able to get more border patrol and I guess we’ll see in the next couple years if he actually lowers taxes or something then we will start to see the affects of it,” Seefried said. “I think people start to realize that the ban, right now is only a 90 day ban and I don’t think it will be extended. I think over time, over the course of his presidency people are going to realize that it’s not going to be as bad as they thought it was going to be.”