The simple solution for free college

Kenyaa Wright, Staff Reporter

I was on the internet searching for a topic to write about, and I came across a topic that really moved me and made me think. Should students with free or reduced lunch, living in a struggling household, or students who are foster children or live in temporary homes receive free tuition and board if they have a 3.0 G.P.A. Also, should students who don’t fall into these requirements receive benefits but at least be rewarded for their success. I answered yes to these questions, but I think there should be more restrictions for both ways of this proposal.

One thing that I would like to adjust is the 3.0 G.P.A. A  3.0 isn’t horrible but it isn’t great.  I think you should have anything from at 3.5 to 4.0 or higher. Having a G.P.A is showing that you are doing great in your classes, but there is room for a lot of improvement me speaking and I can speak  from experience. I came into high school with a 3.25 G.P.A over this semester, and I now have a 3.5 overall,  but I have 4.5 for my ninth grade year. I can say that I need to work harder in my classes even though I do get good grades in my classes and turn my work in on time. I think students that don’t qualify in any of these categories should be able to at least get half or a third of their room and board discount. Just because they can afford their tuition does not mean that they shouldn’t be rewarded for their four years of hard  work even five, if you are including your eighth grade year.   

If students were rewarded with free tuition and board, if they were really grateful for being able to receive such a gift that they earned,  they wouldn’t care if they got into some top notch school like Stanford University , Harvard University or Princeton University. They would settle for anything that would provide them with the correct sources to get them there degrees. Wayne State, South Dakota State College are inexpensive and are good schools.  
There are a lot of students who do not apply for college because they always here about other people having a lot of student loans and them still having to pay it off after 30 years or so. I think if students did have this life-changing reward there would be a huge increase of the amount of people who apply for college and stay enrolled. I think this whole concept should begin as soon as possible because money is the main reason why people don’t go to college. There are many colleges that allow you to work on campus at the appropriate places and pay back the college as you receive the experience of being a college student.