Merck meets marketing class

Christa Cole, Photography Editor

This past Thursday, there was quite a bustle of activity in the Principles of Business and Marketing class. Workers from Merck, a local pharmaceutical, Fortune 500 company, came to interview students of the 2A block class. Senior Jeremy Pultz was one of those students interviewed.

“It was basically like a mock interview seeing if the class was prepared or not for the workplace, Pultz said. “They’re looking for an internship… so the class is all interviewing for the same job so everyone’s kind of doing the same thing.”

Part of the lesson assigned by Business and Marketing teacher Cassandra Copeland had been to develop cover letters, resumes and thank you letters so the students could learn proper business etiquette as well as prepare for their interviews.

“Their thing is insuring that they’re actually utilizing the skills that they’ve learned in class and that they’re able to put that into play for a real job, and this is the marketing process that we’ve been doing in our class, doing cover letters, resumes and thank you letters, that would be the process for us. So we’re making sure that they have the skill set to get the job,” Copeland said. “I’m hoping that they learn proper business etiquette, what not to do, how to be prepared for the interview, what to look like, what success actually look likes, that’s my goal.”