Streaks beat Gobblers at first annual valley classic

Noah Siderhurst

Kyle Brown, Op-Ed Editor

The varsity football team played this week’s game against the Broadway Gobblers at Bridgeforth Stadium at James Madison University. This division game proved to be a win for the Streaks with a 35-6 victory over the Gobblers, bringing them to a winning record of 4-3.

The Blue Streaks got the ball at the start of the game, and had a slow going first drive, generating no big plays for HHS, leading to a punt by Senior Roberto Gonzalez-Cavazos. With a lone Broadway returner in the backfield, the punt was muffed which led to a Harrisonburg recovery on the 25 yard line. That led to a sophomore Marcus Robinson-Jenkins touchdown, putting the Streaks up to a 7-0 lead with 9:33 left to play in the first quarter. Later in the first quarter, the Streaks were able to power down the field for another Robinson-Jenkins touchdown run with 2:08 left on the clock. Increasing the score to 14-0. Broadway got the ball back, but went four and out, and were forced to punt. HHS blocked the attempted punt and were placed on the Gobblers’ own 20 yard line. These downs for the Streaks resulted in an interception by Junior quarterback A.C. White.

Sophomore Marcus Robinson-Jenkins plows over a Broadway defender, scoring his first of three touchdowns, extending the Streaks lead to 14-0.
Owen Stewart

Broadway was not able to put up points at the start of the second half, allowing Harrisonburg to take possession of the ball. The Blue Streaks were again able to progress down the field allowing for another Robinson Jenkins carry for a touchdown, making the score 21-0 with 10:02 left to play in the second quarter. HHS regained control of the ball allowing for a long White touchdown scramble. This score was later taken back from a block in the back penalty for a loss of yards. HHS made it up the field for a Junior runningback Collin Morris run for a touchdown with 0:28 left in the half. This brought the score to 28-0 at halftime.

Broadway started off the second half with the ball and made it down to HHS’s 3 yard line. They then attempted to pass for a touchdown, but the pass was intercepted by HHS junior Stedman Clark with 8:25 left in the third quarter. The next drive by the Streaks led to Robinson-Jenkins fumble, and Gobbler recovery on Harrisonburg’s 15. Broadway’s new set of downs led to another Clark interception on the 13 yard line with 6:17 left to play in the third. This gave White the position for a 69 yard scramble for a touchdown with 3:13 left in the third, giving the Streaks a 35-0 lead over the Gobblers.

Junior AC White sidesteps a Broadway defender in an attempt to get to the sideline. White ran for a touchdown on the play, but it was called back because of a penalty.
Owen Stewart

Neither team could get much going for them in the start of the fourth quarter. On one of Harrisonburg’s possessions they set up for a missed field goal attempt by Gonzalez-Cavazos. This led to the Gobbler’s good field position, and ultimately a touchdown for BHS with 4:24 left in the half. Broadway was not able to convert on their extra point attempt, bringing the score to 35-6.

On one last attempt to get the ball back, Broadway attempted an onsides kick, which was recovered and downed by HHS senior Malachi Simmons. HHS was able to run the clock out bringing the final score to HHS 35 and BHS 6.

Be sure to come out and watch the Harrisonburg Blue Streaks take on Robert E. Lee High School on Friday October 28th.