Winter Pep Rally enjoyable for students

Sam Heie, Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday, March 10, there was a pep rally during ELT period. Every student in the building received Red Sea shirts, which they wore during the pep rally. The Marching Blue Streaks Band drumline and pit started by walking around the upper and lower floors of the high school. After this, students were directed to the main gymnasium.

The pep rally was held to recognize the winter sports and activities. JROTC led a rifle routine to start the pep rally off, followed by the JROTC step team.

Senior Isis Gutierrez led the step team.

“It was really successful and really exciting. We messed up a couple of times, but I guess that just comes from nerves. I felt like there was something missing from the routine,” Gutierrez said. “I feel like it could have been a little bit longer. I felt like the crowd reaction was really good, especially when we dabbed. They were really excited at some parts and that’s what made us so hyped to do it.”

After the step team was applauded, principal Cynthia Prieto recognized Brent Berry, the Russian club and the Key club for their community service. Journalism was recognized next, then JROTC and the leaders of the Red Sea.

Senior Chase Berkshire was a co-leader of the Red Sea throughout the Fall and Winter sports season.

“I think it went really well, actually. The first pep rally, I knew what was going to go on, I kind of had it planned, and that didn’t go too well. This time really caught me off guard. I think Ms. Prieto really outdid herself,” Berkshire said.

After these recognitions, senior Abner Johnson led the school in the roller coaster game. 

Ellie Plass

“The rollercoaster game really caught me off guard. You wouldn’t think that seeing 800 kids hands go up in the air wouldn’t really be that cool, but it was. That was definitely the highlight of the pep rally,” Berkshire said.

The cast of Aida was recognized, then Streaks leadership, the Scholastic team, forensics and debate, the Streaks cheerleaders, gymnastics, wrestling team, swim and dive, girls basketball, boys basketball and indoor track.

“There was a whole electric atmosphere in there and I really don’t think it could have gone better. It was simple. We didn’t try to fit too many things in, and that’s what made it run so smoothly,” Berkshire said.

After a short speech from Prieto, students returned to classes. Students were allowed to keep the Red Sea shirts, which displayed a fist holding a lightning bolt and a circle of words that read “unity” in nine different languages.