DECA fundraiser beginning soon, raffle prizes

Danny Dombrowski

Some of the prizes available in the raffle.

Danny Dombrowski, Staff Reporter

The DECA club will be sponsoring a calendar raffle for the month of February. The fundraiser will feature one winner for every day of the month for a total of 29 days. Tickets are $10 each and will be sold from Jan. 11 until Jan. 29. Proceeds from the fundraiser will go towards helping students pay for the upcoming state trip to Virginia Beach. They can be bought from any DECA member or Mallory Cromer, the DECA advisor. All prizes were donated by local businesses including Costco and Bella Luna, and range in value from $10 to $50.

“Prizes are either straight cash or gift cards; we were very fortunate to be able to have enough businesses donate to the raffle,” Cromer said.

Each DECA member receives the money for the tickets he or she sells to go towards their trip, but the goal is for everyone to have at least half of their trip paid for by the raffle.

“Each student can benefit as much as they want from this fundraiser. Any tickets I sell will help pay for the chaperones on the trip. My goal is that everyone can have half the trip paid for after the raffle. The cost of the trip is $300. Money left over will go towards nationals later this spring,” Cromer said.

Senior DECA President Abner Johnson liked the idea of the raffle during one of the club’s early morning meetings.

“We brainstormed earlier in the school year during a meeting on how to raise money, and everyone seemed to agree the calendar raffle would be a great idea after we got back from break,” Johnson said.

There is no set limit of tickets being sold, but one ticket could win multiple times.