HHS Band receives a supreme ranking

HHS+Marching+Band+

HHS Marching Band

Faith Runnells, Print Managing Editor

The Harrisonburg High School Marching Blue Streak Band came out with the best result they could’ve asked for in their competition at Stuarts Draft High School last Saturday, September 27th. The band performed to their absolute best in the competition, and placed an overall first of the day against 20 opponent bands.

The band placed a supreme first place in all categories of drum major, color guard, music, marching, general effect, and band class 5A, and a second place finish in only percussion.

Junior clarinetist Felicia Tran credited their success to what they had done in preparation to the competition, along with the Friday night football game against Fort Defiance High School, where the streaks football team came out with their first win of the season, coming back from 21-7 to 28-21, and winning the game in the last second by one point, 28-27.

“We were really focused all last week [before the competition]. Also, the football game against Fort Friday night kind of pumped us up and let us know that like, we could do really well if we wanted to,” Tran said.

Junior clarinetist Allison McGranahan thinks the new marching style, although hard, could’ve also benefitted the band.

“We have to walk on our toes the whole time this year, and it like kills your calves by the end of it, but it’s a new element, kind of like a nice surprise,” McGranahan said.

The marching band will host another competition next Saturday, October 11th. Because they are hosting it, they will just be performing an exhibition show and will not be ranked alongside the other teams. The next weekend, October 18th, the band will again be competing in another competition.

Say congratulations to your fellow competition marching band members as their performance led to a phenomenal result of grand champion!